• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Need Help Suspending a Light fixture

Hello,

I need to hang an API powermodule from my ceiling over my 90 Gallon and was wondering if anyone can recommend a carpenter or handy-man who I can hire to this. I live in Northen NJ (Guttenberg). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matthias

Im going to make a fixture tree for my 36" Sunpower. I found already bent pipe and straight pipe in the closet section of home depot. Is the tank setup and running?

Hey big guy.. why not just use a hanging kit? Just get a stud finder and find the center of the studs in the ceiling about 24" apart. Install the hanging kit and you are done? or is the ceiling too far away and you don't like it?

No the ceiling is a normal height. Am just having some difficulty finding the studs and dont want to damage the ceiling (my wife is very worried about that). The PM comes with a hanging kit. When it arrives later this week I will see if I am comfortable trying to install it.

Matthias

If you can't find a stud or the studs are not positioned carefully or you have a frickin concrete ceiling like me you can use TAPCON screws and a small piece of pine wood to screw into the ceiling. This will distribute the weight.

A trick I have used to find studs where a stud finder won’t work is (especially in a tiled area )– guess and then to drill a small (like in a grout line). Then use a wire, bent at a 90. Slip it through the hole and spin it around. Keep adjusting the length until you tap the stud. Then use the wire to measure the distance. With one tiny hole, you’ll find the stud.

Bob