• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Need help

I was thinking of setting up a 29g reef or fish with live rock tank

I was wondering would it be possible to do so with a rena xp3 canister filter if not what would you suggest

I have a power head and mtc skimmer that ran on a 125g tank prior

Also what type of corals can I keep with this type of lighting ???

Newly built custom canopy consist of

Nova Extreme HO Light - 4 x 24W & Lunar Lights - 24 in

(2 460 nm actinic blue lamps, 2 10,000k ultra daylight lamps)
and

Coralife 2x65w 2 - 50/50 bulbs 21"

here is the link for the canopy

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y166/imperial422/Canopy/

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Canister filters don't make great accompanyments to a reef environment as they tend to attract detritus and build up nutrients and are not able to process them properly to eliminate them. They become a "clean it every few days" piece of equipment.

It would be best served for running carbon/phosban/poly pads, etc for short bursts.

Between your skimmer and your rock (1.5-2#/g) you'd have enough filtration to support a reasonable bio-load. Looks like you'll have enough light (7wpg) to support nearly anything you'd want to keep with maybe the exception of the more light requiring clams and light demanding SPS.

Welcome to NJRC!

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I would run it once a month for a week with both carbon & poly pads and leave it empty & clean otherwise (or running empty if that's easier). I would definitely remove teh bio & sponge. The sponge/filter floss would only be good if you could keep to a schedule of cleaning/changing it ever 3 days. Other than that it begins to do more harm than good.

You may be pleasantly surprised to find that your system runs just fine without it all together.

thanks for the info I'm going to pull the canister filter

right now i only have about 5 lbs of live rock will be adding 30lbs this weekend

should i get cured or non cured rock

should i add a hang on filter if so what kind of media or just live sand and Chaeto

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Getting cured will help your cycle move faster, but non-cured rock that you cure yourself will ensure a good cycle in your tank and make sure that it is ready for livestock. 35# is a good start, but you're going to want closer to 45 to support a decent bioload. The 35# (once cycled) will be enough to get you started though.