• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New Annularis with HLLE already!

Hi all,
I recently bought an Annularis Angel on Saturday and its not even 1 week and it looks like he has HLLE already! I've read everywhere that this Angel is hardy and I can't believe he can get it so fast. He is not eating too well either. He won't touch algae, flakes or pellets yet but he does eat mysis shrimp. I have a 180 with 2 small clowns, 2 tangs, a wrasse and a huge Starry Puffer. I recently put a refugium in there with Chaeto but its probably too soon to have any effect on the nitrates. Has anyone here had any similar problems with the Annularis? What should be my steps to try and reverse HLLE? I've read about vitamins and also Miracle Mud. Is there anything else I can try?

Make sure you have excellent water quality. Make sure you are feeding a well balanced diet as close to natural as you can. I have also read that any little bit of stray voltage in your tank can bother Angels so if you dont have one already add a ground probe. Go to the seafood market of grocery store and get some fresh still alive raws clams. Open them up and put them in the tank. The Angel should go crazy for them.

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
Do you have a heater or power heads in the main tank?
If so you might want to get a grounding probe this will take care of most if not all of the stray electric current in your tank.The stray voltage can cause this at a very rapid pace.

OK, so maybe I jumped the gun. I think the Annularis was scarred the first few days and his colors were fading around the head area. He is eating a lot better now (formula 2 and mysis) and it looks like he may not have HLLE. I will keep you posted and thank you for the help!