• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New fish

Okie dokie. I want to get a new fish. Id like a fish that swims around (unlike a cardinal or firefish) and will do well in a 8month old 29gal reef tank w/ a 20gal sump/fuge. I have a yellow watchman, 2 percs and an unidentified reef safe starfish.

I was thinking about a black cap basslet. Anyone have one of these?

I had a sixline but they apparently burry themselves when they sleep and the starfish decided it was a midnight snack. So i dont want to get another one of those Any suggestions? I have plenty of filtration to support a decent bioload, and seeing as the tank is going to be Softie/LPS dominated i dont need to keep the water too pristine.

Any feedback is appreciated

Your fish selection of a black cap basslet would be fine. So would it's close relative the royal grama.

Other fish I like are the various hawkfish species. A spotted, flame, pixie, or longnose hawk would be a good addition.

One of the various species of dwarf angles might be possible, but there can be tricky in a reef. Some individuals can be model citizens. Others eat just about all corals in sight. Still others can tart off fine and go bad. So, if you get one, have some plans in case it doesn't work out. Personally, I have a flameback in my reef and it's been fine.

While not a fish, a coral banded shrimp, or a cleaner shrimp can be a great addition.

Xavier613 said:
and an unidentified reef safe starfish.
I had a sixline ...burry themselves and the starfish decided it was a midnight snack.

???

How can a starfish be reefsafe and then eat a fish?

Frankly before adding any further fish you should definitely identify what kind of "starfish" you have. It would stink if you have the dreaded fish-eating Ophiarachna incrassata brittle star.

nope definitly not that. the starfish looks EXACTLY like a sand sifter but never ever ever goes into the sand. goes over the sand, over the rocks, along the glass, but never in the sand.