• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New Japanese Dragon Eel Feeding

Hi fellow enthusiasts. I just picked up a Japanese Dragon Eel for a great price from the LFS. They had him for 2 months in a very aggressive tank and he never ate. They told me they tried everything. I placed him in a tank with a large Puffer, a large Snowflake Eel, a very large Viper Eel, and an Undulated Trigger 2 days ago. He is getting adjusted, but clearly nervous by the Viper. I'm thinking he's a little timid and that I should pull the Viper and Trigger, to allow him to claim the tank. He shows energy and looks healthy, but is clearly nervous, though he's not been subject to any active aggression in the tank. I'm thinking this approach may interest him in eating. I could later add them back, possibly not the trigger.
I've had luck getting Blue Ribbon Eels to eat when not at the fish store in the past with a skewer and fellow eels eating. I'm trying all previously successful methods, regardless of what the store tried.
I'm looking for any thoughts and suggestions on how to entice this amazing specimen to eat. More pictures to follow.

Attachments

• 20200119_072359.jpg
    20200119_072359.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Live is a great idea. This article says it can take several weeks for them to start feeding and longer to wean them off live feeder fish.

Live is a great idea. This article says it can take several weeks for them to start feeding and longer to wean them off live feeder fish.

Thanks. I'll try that.

Update: He's getting more acclimated, but wasn't interested in the shark steak (everyone else was), even when I later added garlic to a few pieces. It's possible the smell was too strong for his sensitivities. None of the eels seemed too thrilled with the garlic, but admittedly I had fed them a fair amount in the last two days .

Times 10. WOW is that an awesome looking eel. Thanks for posting pic. As soon as you get him happy and eating. Please post more. And why your at it post pics of the others. :wink: Truly best of luck with getting him to eat but sounds like you have it under control.