• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New MH Bulbs

I will be replacing my MH bulbs for the first time in a few months, so just wondering what the perferred K rating for MH's these days. I have 3 250w 10K's now supplemented with 8 39w T5 Atinics, but I still think the tank could be 'blue-er' when the MH's are on. what do you guys suggest. Kelvin rating and manufactuer opinion would be great.

It depends on a few factors.First personal Choice do prefer more of a bluer look or does faster growth.I love Phoenix bulbs 14k are great they give you a little blueish tint.Also Ushio makes a great bulb in 10k which I use for my frag tanks to get best growth.The best growth would be 5k but they are way to white.I have used these on my Fresh Water Plated tanks.I would go 14k they will give you a happy medium personally for what your looking for both growth and color.

Unfortunately, the kevin rating on bulbs are not held to any standard. Each brand will give a different look even if they are the same K. Your best bet is to look around at other tanks and see what you like. Also keep in mind that each bulb will look different on different ballasts.

majormaz said:
Patriot76 said:
what k temp gives more bluish and what gives you more yellowish?

More blue= Higher kelvin
More Yellow= low kelvin

thats what i thought.

tahnks everyone for the advice. i would like to go with a more blue color to my tank, i am thinking maybe 14k's. is there any risk of changing kelvin rating (effect on corals)? i would change one bulb at a time, then after a month or so change the next one.

No but let me make one suggestions and I think many others would agree when first changing out your bulbs .I would cut back on the number of hours so you don't shock your corals .I have always have done this and never had a coral bleach on me.Good Luck

You can get the 20K or even the 22.5K rated AquaMedic MH if you really want to push for more blue. But coral growth rate may suffer.

Sean