• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New tank 1st cyano outbreak

My tank has been up and running for 2 weeks now. I am in the beginning of my 1st cyano outbreak and have been brushing the algea off the rock once every three days. It's been a while since I have been in this stage of an aquarium and want to know how long this will last for. Also how long should I wait until I do the 1st water change. Should I let the tank cycle for a month or should I do 20% now.

Has the tank cycled yet? What are the water parameters? I recomend sucking up as much as you can with a turkey baster and keep up with good water husbandry. do you have a fuge? growing any macro?

I'd also suggest trying to keep up with natural methods vs trying any chemical treatments just yet. good luck... keep us posted.

I do not believe that my tank has cycled yet. It is a 58 gallon oceanic rr tank and has been up and running for 2 weeks. I bought it used and it came with 70 lbs of live rock but the tank never had any live sand. So I put about 40 lbs of live rock in the tank along with 40 lbs of live sand. Than in the sump I put 20 lbs of live sand with 30 lbs of live rock and a fist full of chaeto.

My water parameters are so so
Ph 8.3, ammonia .25, nitrates .12, ak 11, calcium 500 and phosphates .25

I am leaning twords doing my 1st 20% water change and will continue to brush the algea off of the rock every three days.

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Brushing off the Cyano does not real help much, since it is a bacteria, so it remains in your system. When you do your water change syphon the cyano out, this way you are removing it from your tank.

Everybody gets cyano with a new tank, be patient and it will work its way out. Once again best way to be rid of it is to syphon it out.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
ken6217 said:
How much flow do you have in the tank. The cyno can also be due to not enough water movement.
Ken

I agree with Ken. Increase the water flow to that area.

Bob

I have a Mag 9.5 as my return pump and have been told that it is to large for the tank. But, when I gave it a test shot it works great and turn over more than enough water. I do have a hydor koralia 2. Do you think that I should give it a shot?
Jon
Jon

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Jon said:
I have a Mag 9.5 as my return pump and have been told that it is to large for the tank. But, when I gave it a test shot it works great and turn over more than enough water. I do have a hydor koralia 2. Do you think that I should give it a shot?
Jon
Jon

What type of corals do you have?

Bob

tank is 2 weeks old...he should not have any corals...i hope.

a pic would be helpful - and perhaps a list of the equipment.

Don't confuse rate of return from the tank to the sump to water movement inside your tank with powerheads. Do you have cyno all over or only specific parts of the tank. If it is in a specific part, re-direct water flow to that area.
Ken

Today I did the 20 % water change and syphoned out the cyano in the sump and on the live rock. As of now the tank looks great and I will keep you posted when I test the water tomorrow and over the next couple of days to see if the cyano grows back.
Jon