• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New to the forum

Hey reefers! Im new to the forum. I have a 75 gal reef setup thats been going for 4 years. Unfortunately for the reef, my wife and I moved recently and are getting ready to move the tank. On a more positive note...I have decide to incorporate the tank into the back wall of our bar that I'm building. Need some tips on ways to move corals/fish without losing too much. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
"the new guy"

john90009

NJRC Member
Welcome to njrc Steve.What is in the 75 may i ask? I also have a 75 that once was a 55 and i moved everything into the 75. How deep is the sand bed in the tank? One thing that i would say is possible is to empty the water and fish in a big storage buckets or boxes that you can move to its new location. If it is going to be a long drive mine as well throw the rocks in a bucket of the water. Is the new tank location setup and all you have to do it throw the tank on and plumbing? If so try not to disturb the sand bed that much and put it in a van, or the flat bed of a truck. When you add the water and rocks back in put plastic on the sand so the water refilling up small holes wont release any bad bubble pockets. I haven't moved a big tank but if thats what i had to do i would plan it out and make it as fast as possible to a stable housing for the fish and corals(bucket with a heater and powerhead) you will have time to finish everything as slow and least mistake as possible.

Welcome Steve,

How far are you moving? Do you have a large sump? Do you have the luxury of having pieces of the tank in both the old and new location for a few days?

If it's not too far a distance between old and new locations, you could move as much livestock as possible to the sump, disconnect the dispaly tank and set it up in the new location. Then you could transport the livestock and reconnect the sump.

If time and distance make it necessary to move everything at once, it's time for lots of barrels and caareful packing. If it's a long move you may have to do something about oxygen and temperature management.

Do you have a friend with a spare tank that can hold the livestock for you for a few weeks?

Its only a 15 mile move thank god!!! I was just wondering if there were any tricks to not losing much. Sounds like it shouldnt be too hard. And no, unfortunately...the tank I have at my parents house is the one moving to my house and I dont have another one set up for an easy tranfer.

I have some pics of the tank in the location that it is in right now. I will post them as soon as i figure out how to. \

Hello and welcome fellow newbie. I recently had the experience of making two large moves with livestock and tanks. One was a 150 with 150lbs of rock and all livestock (fish and corals no tanks or hardware). The other was a 75 gallon complete with tank and all hardware. I used 5 gallon buckets and rubbermaid containers. The transfer was difficult because of the time required to complete the transfer. I did not try to rush the transfer. Only bad things happen fast. I found that whatever livestock could not be transferred could be left in the rubbermaid containers with a powerhead and heater running overnight. I did loose one beautiful montipora on one of the moves. I did not take enough time to make sure the heater in the rubbermaid was adjusted properly and the temp dropped too low. All the other livestock in the same container made it. Good luck with your move.