• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New

Finally got a light for my tank and would like to try my hand at keeping corals. What would you suggest for a newbie? And where to buy them from during all this?

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Not sure if you started a build thread.
What size tank?
What kind of light?
What types of coral are you interested in?

Not sure if you started a build thread.
What size tank?
What kind of light?
What types of coral are you interested in?
40g breeder with 20g long sump. Viparspectra light.(I have just ordered a second one for any fall out)
Soft and lps. Something easy and forgiving since it's my first time.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Welcome to NJRC!!!! How long has the tank been cycled? Do you have fishes?

Zoas, duncan, chalice

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
40g breeder with 20g long sump. Viparspectra light.(I have just ordered a second one for any fall out)
Soft and lps. Something easy and forgiving since it's my first time.

Any leather, mushroom, LPS - Hammer, Frogspawn will do fine under that light. You may have to adjust the intensity.
Could do SPS but a bit harder; can try green and red cap coral.
I am sure others will chime in but a few to start.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Leathers, kenya trees, xenia, green star polyp, mushrooms are pretty much bulletproof IMO

First and foremost check out the different types and find what appeals to you most, and then research it. Learn it’s needs and read about experiences keeping that type of coral. Also look at different pictures of tanks online or if possible in person, and decide what you want to keep, and set up your rock-scape to support that. Coral like Xenia, GSP, and mushrooms can grow relatively quickly over the available rock work, so you’ll want to read about peoples experiences controlling that-i keep my mushrooms on smaller rock “islands” so they don’t compete with or overgrow what I have on my main rock work, and personally I won’t keep Xenia for that reason.
You’ll also want to look into adding nutrients to support the coral, depending what type you keep. Many of the hardier coral may not require it but will be much healthier and more attractive if you do. I didnt at first, but I wish I did. And when I added automatic dosers instead of adding manually, the change was tremendous in terms of coral health, color, and growth.
You can find a wide variety available on here from the vendor threads, and members are posting frags or colonies for sale regularly. If you're looking for something specific post it and see if anyone has some available.
Good luck!

First and foremost check out the different types and find what appeals to you most, and then research it. Learn it’s needs and read about experiences keeping that type of coral. Also look at different pictures of tanks online or if possible in person, and decide what you want to keep, and set up your rock-scape to support that. Coral like Xenia, GSP, and mushrooms can grow relatively quickly over the available rock work, so you’ll want to read about peoples experiences controlling that-i keep my mushrooms on smaller rock “islands” so they don’t compete with or overgrow what I have on my main rock work, and personally I won’t keep Xenia for that reason.
You’ll also want to look into adding nutrients to support the coral, depending what type you keep. Many of the hardier coral may not require it but will be much healthier and more attractive if you do. I didnt at first, but I wish I did. And when I added automatic dosers instead of adding manually, the change was tremendous in terms of coral health, color, and growth.
You can find a wide variety available on here from the vendor threads, and members are posting frags or colonies for sale regularly. If you're looking for something specific post it and see if anyone has some available.
Good luck!
Thank you. I've been researching corals before I even started with saltwater because I knew that was always my end goal. I'm very interested in those already mentioned on here. I've specifically set up my tank to form a zoa garden which is at the top. I would like gsp, Xenia, mushrooms and stuff that would be forgiving but I'm hesitant because of the stories on here of them taking over tanks. I've read a ton and watch a million YT videos on all of it.

The question was more so like, what would be something people recommend as the very first coral just so I can get my feet wet.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Thank you. I've been researching corals before I even started with saltwater because I knew that was always my end goal. I'm very interested in those already mentioned on here. I've specifically set up my tank to form a zoa garden which is at the top. I would like gsp, Xenia, mushrooms and stuff that would be forgiving but I'm hesitant because of the stories on here of them taking over tanks. I've read a ton and watch a million YT videos on all of it.

The question was more so like, what would be something people recommend as the very first coral just so I can get my feet wet.

Personally for a tank that size I would steer away from GSP and Xenia as they can take over quickly. If your confident you can control it go for it. You can do this by keeping them separate from everything else and trimming often.

I’d say as long as you have the light and chemistry, go for what you like the most. If that’s zoas, go for it. they’re typically a hardy species, though I’ve found them somewhat tricky-some take off for me, others melt away, and many have done one and then the other. I’m sure it has plenty to do with parameters I don’t test for or water changes I don’t do often enough. Regardless I love their color and I have a main rock dedicated primarily to a variety of them, and it draws a lot of attention from people. Zoas are great. There’s plenty posted on the board here in member and vendor threads. Hopefully soon enough we’ll be able to have a club meeting when the corona restrictions pass, and often members bring frags to those. Good luck!

Believe it or not my first coral was a hammer coral and while I've definitely killed tons of corals the hammer has managed to survive through it all. So just by my experience I'd say they are a good starter/ hardier coral, just be careful where you place them because they can sting other corals. Good luck!