• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Oceanic 30g cube owners, I need your opinion :)

I have a 30g oceanic cube that is a FOWLR for one green spotted puffer.

I purchased a aquaclear 70 filter to hang on the back to house purigen/carbon/etc... however it won't fit correctly!!!

The area that should fit over the edge/lip of the tank is a tiny bit to narrow so while the filter works it sits up above the water line pretty high creating a ton of bubbles/spashing/noise in my display.

If you look at your tank it's that inner black edge giving me the problems, do you think I could take a dremel and sand/shave it down a bit where the filter needs to fit w/o risking the integrity of the tank? We're talking maybe a 1/8 or 1/4" at most in 2 little spots.

I don't have this tank but I personally would prefer to modify the filter rather than the tank. You can just add more length of plastic to the area where the water comes out of the filter. I have the same problem with that filter when I am not good with my top-off.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That lip is just to rest the top onto. I wouldn't think it would weaken it any by trimming it down a bit. I have trimmed that part on a few tanks before with no ill effects.

Right... I should have specified that, it's the black edge that is there to hold the glass tops in place.

I don't know how I'd modify the filter easily, seems like a much easier fix to just file down a section of the black edge.

Guess I'll cross my fingers and give it a try :)

drop the water level a bit, have my DH hold a dust pan or something similar under the lip and use the dremil to just sand it down a bit... it's really only a tiny bit to wide so it shouldn't take but a second or two and hardly any sandings. I think that would work and catch anything, and worst case it is just a bit of plastic that should get sucked right back into the filter (I'll toss some floss in there to catch anything).

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
When I cut the ones on my other tanks, I just used a razor knife. The plastic is pretty thin. I made the 2 cuts on the ends of the area I wanted to remove then scored along the long edge a few times. After I scored it, I just snapped it off. Cleaned up the edges with the razor and all done.

I got out my razor and dremel (ok so it's an electric nail file I used to use when I did acrylic/gel nails, same thing :p ) LOL

Took off the filter and inspected it and the tank again... decided it would be better to ruin a $30 filter then my tank (that rim is actually pretty solid/thick on the oceanic and there is silicone on the bottom seal so I didn't want to risk anything breaking/leaking) actually it wasn't to bad to modify the filter, just had to shave down part of it and basically remove the "sleeve area" that the tube fits into.. tight squeeze but it just fit and is working perfectly now :D