• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

OceanPure ViaAqua Salt

Hello there,

Just wanted to express my awe with this product. I have never seen a salt that dissolves perfectly, and have what I think are perfect parameters out of the bag. Unbelievable.

Phosphates - 0 ( not even a trace that I can see, maybe in a lab ) - Hagen Nutrafin
PH - 8.3 - Aquarium Pharmaceuticals
Calcium - 420 - Hagen Nutrafin
Nitrate - 0 ( absolute 0 ) - Hagen Nutrafin
Mg – 1120 – RedSea
KH – 8 – TetraTest

Will have Phyl update this tomorrow after I get the test kits.

This was tested with water at 77.5 degrees and a specific gravity of 1.023 - 1.024

I am speechless. Excellent!

Item Code: TA7111
Qty Ordered: 2
Description: OceanPure Sea Salt - 50 Gallon Mix Bag
Price: $23.98

**Edited as per Mynds request

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
How about alk and nitrates? Magnesium? These are also things that would be good to know.

Just so everyone knows.. Since I did only a few tests the night before I redid all the tests again and got the same results adding the two new tests to the process. The numbers above are based on the temperature above and the salt being in the tank at the proper specific gravity for 39 hours. The lights were on a 11 hour actinic schedule and an 9 hour white schedule. There is also no sand in the tank at this time nor filtration media, like filter floss or chemipure elite. These tests are based on salt only.

Hello Phyl,

Yes I am.. I love it. Would not change it for anything. It might be a little more expensive, but after a couple weeks of use it really keeps your parameters pretty perfect. I have not dosed anything in the tank other then water changes and my Mg is 1340 and my Ca is actually a little high around 480-500.

The place I got it from also has a 200 Gallon package. Total cost to have it and get it shipped is $69.98. So, again maybe a little more expensive, but for what I use, it is perfect. I bought two 50 Gallon bags and that should last me about 1.5 years. :D

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Actually, that price is pretty comparable to Tropic Marin Pro. I like the high Mg level you seem to be getting from it. With our LPS dominated tank, maintaining Mg levels is a constant battle.

Any idea how this compares to TM Pro in other respects?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
There are some users complaining of high PO4 readings from TMP... other than that the parms tested above look similar.

Mynd, I'm surprised that you're getting a Mg reading in tank of over 1300 when you tested it at 1140... what do you suppose accounts for you having MORE Mg in the tank than in the stand alone salt solution?

Also, if he's shipping ONE container of salt the total price might be skewed, it is probably much more economical when you're purchasing 6 200g boxes.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I stand WAY corrected. 200g bucket is $102! That's not a LITTLE more expensive... that's REDICULOUS!

I actually can't give you any feedback on that one.. I used to use tropic Marin pro when I had my old 90. I always felt like it left a residue. However, it has been a long time and that could have been the kalk. I really like the levels I am getting. I have dosed Mg in the past ( kent ) however, it has been about 4 weeks since that and about 10 gallons of water changes ( was removing sand ) , so I don't think that has any impact on my Mg levels now. I am very pleased.

There is a comparison on RC between ViaAqua Oceanpure and Tropic Marin Pro. Let me see if I can find it.. hold on.. :)

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=498619&highlight=oceanpure

Thanks for holding.. That is one of them there is another one there that actually shows finding by one person between like 6 salts at a certain temperature circulated for like 13 hours. Let me see if I can find that one.

Thanks for holding.. I could not find that thread, but I did find this quote.

I have since been using their salt... I would highly Recommend the salt to anyone... I know locally I have gotten several Friends to use it and they like it as well... As long as They keep the levels consistent like they have been and dont change the formula much they will have me a salt customer for life... My corals look better than ever as did the tank since I started using it...

Have a nice day.. :D

Phyl said:
There are some users complaining of high PO4 readings from TMP... other than that the parms tested above look similar.

Mynd, I'm surprised that you're getting a Mg reading in tank of over 1300 when you tested it at 1140... what do you suppose accounts for you having MORE Mg in the tank than in the stand alone salt solution?

Also, if he's shipping ONE container of salt the total price might be skewed, it is probably much more economical when you're purchasing 6 200g boxes.

On the shipping.. no.. they don't care what you get it costs the same all the time.. very odd.. but ok.. As far as the Mg. As stated above I did dose about 4 weeks ago, but I would not think over that period of time and 10 gallons in water changes that there would be any trace amounts left from dosing.. it is possible. Other then that I cannot explain why my Mg is where it is. Maybe just the changing of water and the addition of more trace elements brought it up. I am not sure..

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Another question I have surrounds who the manufacturer is on this. You say it is ViaAqua, but I've also seen some people refer to it as a TAAM product. When I look to the TAAM website they have a salt, but it is listed as RealOcean.

One of these brands is reported not to be using silicate as a drying agent. Now I can't find where I read that.

I just found the reference. That's Seachem that's saying that.

Phyl said:
Have you tested the silicates on this?

yes I tested silicates with just the water, water and salt, water salt and sand all were 0. I also checked the same way for phosphates and it was complete 0.

Phyl said:
Another question I have surrounds who the manufacturer is on this. You say it is ViaAqua, but I've also seen some people refer to it as a TAAM product. When I look to the TAAM website they have a salt, but it is listed as RealOcean.

One of these brands is reported not to be using silicate as a drying agent. Now I can't find where I read that.

I just found the reference. That's Seachem that's saying that.

As far as I know the manufacturer is OceanPure. I would have to look into it more to see if it was actually created by someone else and sold by OceanPure.

You are correct.. I just found this as did probably you "OceanPure salt mix by TAMM" That place is the cheapest I have found. I wish someone on the east coast would start to sell it.