• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Off the Shelf LED Light Fixure Build

im going to make a led light using 10mm leds soon.i will be mixing reds and pinks with white and blues and see what happens never know

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Seems like a lot of people are trying to come up with DIY LEDs. I see a lot of them "look" bright, but what's the minimum specs recommended for good coral growth? Par 38? Is there anything better in an LED?

The reason I ask is because I researched the Par 38's and most of them are rated at like 5000K - 5500K, which is not high at all when compared to the 10000K, 14000K, etc. T-5's that are available.

I know there are obvious advantages on efficiency with (quality) LED's, but is there really an economical option that can compare with a T-5 or MH? The only LED's I've found with good ratings are around $2,000 for a 48" fixture. This might save money in the long run through cheaper energy consumption and less bulb replacements... but that's a big chunk coming out of your wallet up-front!

theres a LEd build somewhere (rc maybe) that a guy used some alum Heatsink cut to size and the Cree LED's.. sweet build and look. FTS has one on each side at an angle and the center one flat.

The only issues you will have are the following.

1.) The wave length of the light will not be suitable for growing coral.
2.) It may possibly cause algea to grow quicker than normal due to the strong intensity of LED's.

Also keep in mind LED's your looking at will shine more like a light bulb with intensity with no shield so the beam will be large. Normal LED's when starred at can be very blinding to the eye, so a hood would more than likely be helpful.

Most manufacturers like PFO Solaris they used a small cluster of LED's using the colors blue, green, white with a small shroud around each LED cluster.

You might be able to back down the voltage to turn the intensity down if need be.

Being an electrical engineer a watt is a watt.
LEDs have their individual wattage, when you add up the clusters of LEDs that will provide the total wattage of the LEDs.

Edited to remove commercial content

Yes you can add up the wattage but watts are only the amount of energy that is being used, not a good measurement of what the bulbs are outputting.
Lumens is a better measurement of a bulbs output, but for photosynthetic organisms it is the par that matters. PAR is the amount of Photosynthetic active radiation, which is the band length of light that is usable for photosynthesis. (not to be confused with parabolic aluminized reflector, such as par36 bulbs which is a measurement of the reflector itself) Also the light from bipin leds by limitation of their design is being dispersed more which leads to a higher light loss factor as the distance increases.

I do know that a lot of street lights are being switched over to the high output crees, so that might be a good thing to try if the price is right.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Lights of America (Sam’s Club), now has come out with a “Cree style” spotlight. Eleven watts with 9 LEDs for about $20. Packaging says 4100K, efficacy / lumens per watt of 47, CRI (Color Rendering Index) of 74. I put this over my freshwater tank. Not sure about the 4700K?? Might cause for algae growth.

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

Hi Paul - Good discussion. I am sure other proud members of idiot's anonymous like myself will appreciate it as well. ;D

Check this link out below. I have not gone this route yet since I just order all kinds of retro stuff, but I would like to someday.

I currently have 4 t5s and two units of small moonlights that have four small but BRIGHT blue LEDs that were about $20 each. I bought them ought from Wingo.com during our latest frag swap. This weekend I plan to add to more t5s. The LED opportunities certainly are well worth investigsting as you are doing.
http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUARIUM-BLUE-L...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item35a6c956b3

I had considered a DIY LED light project for my 6' 125, but after looking at all the posts, links, gathering information, designing several different ways to put it all together I ended buying the PacifcSun 120 BT-EX units. These units have 120 1w-LEDS per fixture and the master is controlled via software and a bluetooth connection to the master unit. WAY EXPENSIVE, but I'm quite happy with the result of their experimentation of which leds to combine for the best coral growth and the software control I have. Right now I am at 58% power and increasing by 1-2% a day till I get the tank up to full power (400w MH equivalent). It has a sunrise/sunset feature to power on and off and a mooonlight phase feature (based on the last full moon). Once at 100% I will make use of the 40 setpoints during the day to program power from sunrise to sunset with simulated cloud cover for a few minutes at points during the day.
That's programing that would NOT have been in my DIY.

Less expensive than a used 72" Giesemann Infiniti Light Fixture with 3x250W HQI for the equivalent of 400MH (when at full power).

My full cost was about $2300. That was for 1 master and 2 slave units with 120-1w led's in each unit. I'm not sure if that intro pricing is still available but I can check for you if you are interested. The software control is amazing.

Lowes is now carrying a cree style led bulb. It is $50 for the bigger one, but it would probably be good for a nano softy tank. It looks like they are under powering the led's at 2 watts each.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Mike, thanks for the additional info on this bulb. I went to check this out on-line. I found the following bulb listed at $49 (new lower price…originally at $59.98). Titled 12-Watt 5-LED PAR30 Reflector Bulb. Unfortunately they did not have any other specifications on this bulb.

LowesLED.jpg

Even at the “new lower price,” I’ll stick with the Lights of America, (Sam’s Club), 11 watt bulb with 9 cree-style leds at about $20. It’s hard to justify that one watt difference for an extra 30 bucks. I’ve since put this bulb over my refugium.