• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

On-Going Alk Doser problem

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Ever since I switched from All for Reef liquid to All for Reef powder the line going to dump keeps getting clogged. The end builds up a crystal like rock I constantly have to remove. Any thoughts?

Ever since I switched from All for Reef liquid to All for Reef powder the line going to dump keeps getting clogged. The end builds up a crystal like rock I constantly have to remove. Any thoughts?
Following. I have the same issue on my Kalk Stirrer dump line.

You can try to plumb your ATO in with it this way anytime your ATO kicks on it will flush the end of the line to prevent the buildup.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member

I am currently running all for reef powder and not having this issue, are you making sure the solution is well mixed? I usually have it mixing for about 30 mins to a magnetic stirrer and then let it sit for about 24 hours before using.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I am currently running all for reef powder and not having this issue, are you making sure the solution is well mixed? I usually have it mixing for about 30 mins to a magnetic stirrer and then let it sit for about 24 hours before using.
Think that is the problem. Been looking at magnetic stirrers.

Could a small pump do the job the magnetic stirrer do?

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
FYI - Calcium is a bootch and a pita to dissolve anywhere. CPPD on joints, gallstones, oxidate as kidney stones, etc.

If its occurring on a line thats in the tank itself you could try decreasing pH to hit around 7.

If it clogging in the line the only 2 ways i can think are:
1. Decrease the concentration of solution while increasing the dosage
2. Increase diameter of dosing
line.

FYI - Calcium is a bootch and a pita to dissolve anywhere. CPPD on joints, gallstones, oxidate as kidney stones, etc.

If its occurring on a line thats in the tank itself you could try decreasing pH to hit around 7.

If it clogging in the line the only 2 ways i can think are:
1. Decrease the concentration of solution while increasing the dosage
2. Increase diameter of dosing
line.
The dosing line will still eventually clog. I have a 1/2 vinyl tube that clogged after 6 months. Avoidable with regular maintenance to clean out the end of the tube.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Wait! @Mark_C 's comment, "a line thats in the tank"

Is this dosing line in the tank....that is submerged in water? If so, easy fix....dosing line needs to be above the waterline, and not submerged.
Bad wording on my part. Meant the dosing tank. Was throwing out that Ca precipitates more in higher pH and if there was an oddity in the dosing mix itself it would clog lines quick. Was a dumbish thought, but threw it out there as (poorly worded) info :)
I use the lying on the couch half-asleep defense. If that fails I go to the Chewbacca defense. :)

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I replaced the lines yesterday and will be ordering a magnetic stirrer. Also, will have to add check lines to my maintenance routine.

I remember I saw a post of a guy using a small dosing cup, the hose for his dosing and ATO poured on that cup, I remember thinking that was a great idea