• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Opinion on 2 items

I am a newbie putting together a 72 gal bowfront. I am looking into wet dry filters here are 2 i see listed on ebay that i may be interested in the 1st is a complete setup but I am not sure how good the skimmer is . I emailed the vendor to find the mdel of skimmer. here is the link. the price is a buy it now for 4279 including shipping seems to good to be true

http://cgi.ebay.com/200-Gallon-Aqua...ryZ46310QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The second is just a wet dry that need a skimmer here is the link i dont know what the final bid will be or how much for a skimmer for it

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=120354727574

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
They are typically just venturi style skimmers that are part of the filter, not a separate item/brand. I have a wet dry we ran on our 120 that I'd sell you for 100$. It comes with one of those venturi style skimmers. Truth be told though a simple 15g tank with baffles would be all you'd need.

my experience with those all in one sumps/skimmer/wet dry is that they are a waste of money. i started out with one of those and wound up taking all the bioballs out as they were a nitrate factory. then i upgraded the skimmer. then i upgraded the wet dry to a sump with more baffles and a refugium built into it...one of those custom acrylic ones. my advise is skip the wet/dry and go for a 15 gallon tank with baffles like phyl said and use the money you saved towards a very good skimmer, one that is oversized for your tank, especially if you want a lot of fish. my skimmer is rated for a 750 gallon tank and i have it on a 210. you pay for what you get in this hobby and if you think it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

The skimmer looks like this Corallife venturi skimmer .
p_22940_30485D.jpg

If you look at the ad the first few pictures have one skimmer and then theres a different skimmer in the single photo? That scares me a bit .

I would go with Phyl's the suggestion of building a simple fuge,might as well add a second chamber for chaeto while your there ,and buy a great skimmer . It will cost about the same and will actually be able to the job you ask from it . And if you did want that skimmer its on sale for about $110 at drsfostersmith. That leaves $150 to build a sump . For that you can build a simple sump and have enough $$$ left over for a phos reactor/pump .Check melevs site for sump suggestions or just ask your questions on this forum . Enough knowledge here to set you up the right way . Wish I found it before I wasted money on equiptment I am now replacing.

I'm not a fan of trickle or wet / dry filters on a SW system. The problem with them is that they are very good at the reduction of ammonia ->> nitrite ->> nitrate. What ends up happening is that this creates a massive nitrate buildup over time, and this in turn leads to massive algae problems.

My choice would be for a berlin type sump and a large powerful skimmer. The berlin sump by it self is basically a mechanical filter, and a place to put chemical filter material. The skimmer removes most of the waste products before the rest of the biological filtration, which is mostly live rock, need to process it.