• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Orange Montepora Encrusting

eholceker

NJRC Member
I am going to experiment with a nice size frag that I am going to recieve. I only have 384 watts of pc lighting over my 75 which works out to a little over 5 watts per gallon. If I keep it high up in the tank, do you think I can keep this alive and colorful?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Orange isn't a particularly hard color to keep with PC lighting (if this piece were pink or purple or blue I'd say no way) so there's a good chance it will be alright. Being a monti also gives it a good chance to stay in color. Good luck. You can always donate it to the club if the color goes south on it :D

Monti's are hardy to begin with so you have a good chance. I dont think you would loose that much color. If anything you will probably loose some of the intensity of the orange but the monti should remain within that color range. Good luck. I lost my orange monti when my tank crashed. It was my favorite sps that I owned. Im still on the look out for a nice frag.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Make sure you place it up high in your tank. The watts per gallon reference is a bit of a misnomer. The key is getting the light moloculs or photons to the corals. The more water the photons have to travel through the more of the longer wave lengths are dispersed.

Here is some information: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/sj/index.php

From the article:
"Visible light is a mixture of many photons with different wavelengths. The photons are reflected and absorbed by various surfaces, and when they reach the eyes, they create the sensation of sight and resultant perceptions of color and brightness. These photons are also directly responsible for photosynthesis in plants and corals. The energy from the photons is used during photosynthesis to convert CO2 into sugar, which is a primary energy source for the photosynthetic endosymbiotic zooxanthellae living within corals."

"As the frequency of the radiation increases (wavelength gets shorter), the amount of energy in each photon increases. Now we can begin to understand why the red light gets absorbed quickly in water as a function of depth." - That leads me to think that the coral will look dull in the deeper parts of the tank since less of the reds and orange light waves will make it to the coral. I recall reading somewhere that the PC lights don't have the punch (par?) to push the light waves as deep as the MH, I just don't recall why. I think it has something to do with the MH being a point light source while the florescent are linear. HTH

eholceker

NJRC Member
Well after 1 day the Monti is still Orange. Lol..... I also finalyy got my neospongodes in. So excited as I love tree corals. Gotta love those Doctors. Never had a bad order from them. BTW I plan on attendiny the next meeting. So I will see you there.