• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Our 57 gallon Oceanic Illuminata

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
So we picked up our new tank today form AO from their tank promo. It has a center overflow and is drilled with 3/4 inch and 1 inch bulkheads. The stand is pretty cool and has doors on three sides so you can access it from any side. We are breaking down the 20 gallon tank and everything will go into the 57. We are going to go sumpless for the time being until we move the tank into a house. I already have the plugs for the holes and will just run a pump back there for flow. We are going to move the Aqua C Remora HOB filter onto the new tank as our skimmer. I picked up an MP 20 for flow and we are going to get a a 6 bulb T5 TEK fixture for lighting. We bought another 30 pounds of live rock today which is cyclying in a 27 gallon rubbermaid container. We are going to let it cycle for a month and then transfer over everything. Wish us luck, We are glad to finally break out of the nano forum. For the record we are still keeping the 30g and the 12g so we will still be 2/3 nano.

As a tease here is a video of the tank from MACNA. Obviously this is not our tank but it looks the same.

http://www.reefbuilders.com/2009/04/09/illuminata-trimless-aquarium-series-oceanic-video-walkaround/

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Very nice looking. The article was on the prototype. Made me wonder... Did they end up going with the megaflow style or something smaller on the one you have?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
They went with the megaflow, it does not look huge to me but then again this is my first drilled tank with an overflow.

I don't think it looks that big. I have the big rectangular one on the Tek so maybe I am used to it. Does it come with a cover for the overflow?

In any case it is a great looking medium sized tank. Congrats.

nice...congrats!!! you could probably end up getting rid of that hob refug and use the old tank as a big sump/refug.

That is the plan, the 20g is pretty scratched up... I guess I took the frustration of law school out on it!

Lots of luck with the new tank. I saw it in the store and was really liking the way it looked, I love rimless tanks .

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hey guys! Nikki was asking about my tnals flow, etc...you guys are more than welcome to stop by to take a look at it to seewhat I amtalking about...there is always beer in the fridge here!

P.S. - I almost bribed Will to steal that tank from you!

Rod

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Thanks Rod. We will all have to get together at some point and I am always up for a beer. I am sure you were not the only one trying to steal that tank from us. It is even more impressive in person.

can you please post pictures of your tank when you get a chance? Also, why is this "illuminata" tank not anywhere on the oceanic website??! I also cannot find a decent picture of it on the net.

wow that is a beautiful tank. good luck with everything in the future! When you get the chance, please post pictures im sure everyone would enjoy seeing them.