• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Overflow Sucking Air

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I’ve got an HOB overflow that is sucking air bubbles. Currently running a simple siphon off the top of the overflow and it has been stopping because of the overflow sucking up too much air. I’m trying to stay as green as I possibly could, trying to avoid putting on an aqua lifter (another plug in). Is there something I could do to limit the air my overflow sucks in? I’ve already removed all screens from the overflow…and that hasn’t helped.

Overflow looks like this one:
Overflow.jpg

There's really only 3 reasons I can think of that an overflow is sucking too much air:

1) Something is clogging it. Clean thoroughly and check again.
2) You didn't suck all the bubbles out when you started the siphon. Start it again and make sure no bubbles.
3) Return flow is too slow. Correct your return pumps, powerheads, etc.

That style overflow pretty much requires that you need an aqualifter to continuosly remove the air that gets pulled into the syphon. The force of the flow is too low to insure that all are is pulled through the "tubeless" design. The screen will increase the amount of bubbles because it slightly restricts the flow in and breaks up the water as it goes in.

I have to the same type (CPR 90) with an aqualifter. I dont like it, which was the main reason why I got a RR tank, which I am in the process of setting up. I didnt like the fact that I had to rely on a $10 pump to keep the syphon.

There are overflow boxes out there that are tube designed which you "should not" need a bubble remover mechanism like a pump. Check out www DOT lifereef DOT com. They have a tube design which the producer claims never having lost a syphon with his boxes for over 20 years. I was about to try out this overflow until I found a deal on a RR tank which would only be a couple bills more than the prefilter box alone.

But any case, I will take some pics of my plumbing to show you what you can do to help decrease the number of bubbles getting pulled in.