• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Pacific Aquaculture (Dr. Mac)

First off - many thanks to dr. mac for providing great insight and help on where to go etc while on my vacation in Maryland.

As our trip ended, we were a bit tired and were on our way back towing along kids and another car load of family who wanted to stop in also.

So unfortunately my entry here will not be very long.

I stopped in around 12 on Saturday. Not sure who the young lady's name is at the front, but I did meet up with John (or is it Jon?) and Kyle. There were a lot of customers and both of them were quite busy.

The place is very well laid out, with a minimal amount of dry goods (honestly I wasn't even bothering to look for that), inverts that were in easy to reach baskets, an array of beautiful fish, and a staggering number of frags and colonies to peruse. In addition to all that is a separate area that is their solarium where there is yet another set of tanks which get natural sunlight to illuminate them. Each of these tanks also had a plump and fat fish that was very happily swimming along.

I'm not even sure how long the tanks were - 8 feet long? Anyways - pics below...

Nano tank all the way in the back next to a set of clownfish tanks set up for breeding:
235.jpg

Beautiful naso tang:
236.jpg

Here's a you had to see it to believe it fish with a bizarre tail marking:
234.jpg

Not the best pic - but my best attempt:
232.jpg

230.jpg

Invert baskets - the fire shrimp were beautiful. There was a fat skunk cleaner hiding under the basket...john said it was almost impossible to catch him...
227.jpg

226.jpg

In the solarium - some interesting macro algae:
225.jpg

Tanks in the solarium:
224.jpg

I wanted this clam but it was sold already:
223.jpg

He had a few others at 30% off but I just couldn't do it since my display tank had been on "vacation" mode and I didn't know what to expect going home (more on that later). I literally walked back and forth saying yes i'm buying it...then no i'm not...In the end I will wait to see what comes to the frag swap (fingers crossed!).
222.jpg

I should have also taken a few pics of the bagging and boxing done. Everything I purchased was carefully bagged (with pure oxygen) and boxed for my trip home. I was impressed.

As I walked out - i noticed the birds right in the front of the store:
238.jpg

Needless to say by then I had a 10 yr old, 8 yr old nephew and 6 yr old all whining about leaving. I wish I had made the trip alone but it was just not to be.

To sum up - if you're around the area, make the detour to stop in. You won't be disappointed (unless there are lot of customers there...in which case you have to be patient!).

Last edited: