• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Pairing Marron Clowns- Experts needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All I have had a 3" (approx) Maroon Clown in my tank for about 6-10 months a just purchased a 1" Maroon clown in an attempt to pair up. I am using the Separation Technique and have the small clown in a container and placed the container next to my BTA where the Lg clown stays. The Lg clown made an aggressive move towards the container the small clown immediately turned on its side in a submissive move. Since then the Lg clown has not made any aggressive moves towards the small clown in the container. My next question is how long to I keep them separated I has been about a day?

Thanks
Dan

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That is a very close size difference and it is possible that your existing clown is still in transition. IME, Maroons in transition are VERY intollerant to additions. Is it possible to put the existing clown in with the new one rather than putting the new one in the tank? The odds of separating them would be greater that way. If not I'd leave them separated for at least a week. There are no territory issues the way they are now, so it is possible that there will be no more agression until they have to share a space together.

Very valid point on the territorial issue but I will say is the tank is 140 so if they do not get along do you think there will be enough room for two territories? As far as the size difference from what I read and understood 2" size differential was fine. But what is written and real life could be two totally different things and this is my first attempt. I am not sure I can catch the 3" clown to place in the container.

I added a small maroon clown with our larger maroon clown and they took to each other within 15 min. And they have been laying eggs. As long as you go smaller you shouldn't have a real big problem with them getting along. Good Luck!

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If the 140 is a 6' tank there might be enough horizontal space... at least so that they don't kill each other.

My 5" took a 1/2" in like a stray kitten and they mated right away. My 3" chased my other 1/2" right out of the other tank (4' 65g). I think that fish JUMPED INTO the net. That 3" had been solo for 8-10mo at least when I tried adding the "mate", which was surely still juvi.

Well I know it is hit or miss with these Maroons as I tell by the responses. I will try to let the little guy out and see if the big Mrs. will take him in.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
LOL! If only it were that easy! ;D I think sexual maturity of the original clown has a lot to do with it. I suspsect the one of mine that wouldn't pair was mid-change and therefore extra agressive. Unfortunately you don't know where you're at until you do it! Good luck!

+1 phyl you also gota look at his personality. I had the nicest clown in the world, and when I introduced a smaller one, my original clown went crazy. after awhile he was cool with it, try to monitor them for a day or 2

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
This thread is more than a month old. Either the clowns love each other or hate each other by now... Please check the dates for relevance prior to posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.