• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Peaceful, Non-jumpin and schooling fish that wont overrun a 40G

I've also noticed almost all of my fish jumps have happened when I leave my moonlights on .
Another thing I noticed the hard way is the more expensive it is the more likely you will find it dead on the floor :mad:

only thing i had jump was a tabacco bass and he just got caught n thrown in the sump with the sailfin. never had a problem with firefish, tho my hippos like to end up in the overflows :p

Well I have decided to get 5 green chromis and a royal gramma to hopefully keep this guys shoaling and not attack each other. Any thoughts regarding the stocking is most welcome.

Would you know if I should stock my entire tank at the same time or if I should wait a week to get the Royal Gramma? The chromis I want to get at the same time.

I dont know if I could revive the thread ... but here goes:

I am trying to get 5 green chromis to shoal in my 40G and would need some fish that keeps them on alert most of the time. I have some constraints and I am fast starting to lose hope of being able to see a group of fish swimming in unison.

1. My tank is 40G (all though I have a 29G sump) .. so most Tangs are out. Do you think I can keep the Kobe or the Tomini tang ?

2. I have many small snails that I dont want to end up as fodder and also a shallow sand bed so all wrasses are out.

I was inclined on the royal gramma before, but looks like they are far too docile to shepherd the chromis.

Will definitely buy the fish by Thursday and let you all know how it goes.

Did you mean yellow-eyed KOLE tang as opposed kobe? Must be watching too many laker re-runs or eating some very expensive steak. ;D

so...just because the chromis get together when frightened - is that what you want to see in terms of "swimming in unison"?

To me - you're choices are limited since many schooling species are huge in number (anchovies come to mind) and require a circular tank. A smaller sized species would be the cardinalfish I mentioned before. But all of these schooling (not shoaling) species are really dull in color.

I hate to say this but so many of us wish to see a school of tangs in a saltwater tank - but we just end up with a bunch of fish that look like each other but don't swim together at all. In fact as they age they start to pair off and fight like mad.

Yep I meant the Kole ... how come the possibility of a typo didnt occur to you :) ....

I dont necessarily mean frightened since the tang probably wont attack the chromis on account of being a herbivore.... ahh well, no schools for me I suppose.

lol - sorry i thought it was funny when you said Kobe - because i started thinking food... :) Not that I eat it - I just look at the menu and the price and keep moving along...lol.

don't make me stop you from your purchase on thursday. Geez I can imagine all the nasty pm's from the vendors to me ;D

when you said Kobe - because i started thinking food... Smiley Not that I eat it - I just look at the menu and the price and keep moving along...
.. Now you made me hungry!! :mad:

..this might stop the from sending you nasty PMs ... but will expose me to some from the Mods I suppose ;D

I am not buying the fish from any of our sponsors, since I seem to be getting a way better price ($2.50/ green chromis ) at a vendor near my office in Greenwhich,CT. I am also buying the "Kobe" tang from him :D

I realise they might not be the healthiest batch, but how wrong can you go at $2.50 for a fish ?

how about a school of firefish? they have the red firefish, purple firefish and more expensive firefish(not sure of exact name) but the red usually go for around 15-20 bucks and purple for about 30 bucks.