• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Pets Plus (Bad stores)

__a

Banned
I was off today so I stopped in at Pets plus in Quakertown. I stopped going there awhile ago when Bob and Pete left the fish room. A lot of what they had was over priced and nothing looked good at all and the fish people did not know anything anyway. I asked stupid questions just to see that puzzled look on the employees face LOL So I made the mistake of stopping at the Lansdale store same thing there. Bad help crappy over priced stuff. I really hate finding a store you like you spend a lot of time and money there talking to good people then puff the good fish/reef person goes and the store turns to crap. Sorry my first post is a rant :mad: but it just sucks and for me to go into a fish room and not buy 1 thing ??? WOW the wife was surprised when I came home empty handed and not full of excuses of why I need this stuff. ;D

Just tell her you decided to save the money for the next visit to a store you like better so you would have more funds available and could get something you really "need". :)

Carlo

I've had bad experiences with their fish and their equipment is overpriced. The staff at my local store (Woodlane) is pretty helpful though.

I work around the corner from the one in Langhorne. I stop in there a few times a week at lunch time. Descent people. They welcome the chatter. They get some good corals in once in a while. Nothing good as far as dry goods for the serious reefer though.

Although the post may be 4 months old, I must say that I have had nothing but good experiences with the Pets Plus stores. I spent a lot of time at the Delran Store, and have no just started going to the brand new store in Mays Landing. Always helpful, always nice, and if they don't have it, they will get it for you.

Right off of 322 (black horse pike). Across from the Hamilton mall. I think the plaza is called the Festival Plaza, it's next to an Acme. They have only been open for about a month, but the fish have started to arrive. Very nice store. John M from Delran is actually running Mays Landing now.

saltwater4life said:
I was wondering why i haven't seen John at the Delran one lately...
I was just at the Delran store and I spoke with a guy named John. Wonder if it's the same guy? 5' somth'n, glasses.. Anyways, he seemed to be very knowledgeable and had an answer to every question that I could throw at him. He sold me 2 juvenile clowns (false). It was a tank with about around 10 clowns. I didnt notice until after acclimation that one of them had some red spots or bruising on the front white stripe. They seemed fine at first and didnt really hide in the corner like some clowns normally do for a while. A few hours go by and one started swimming funny. Almost as if it couldnt keep its head down. within 15 minutes of that, it went over to the back left corner and died. The other was still swimming fine and actually ate. I got up at 3:30am to check on it and couldnt find it. I flicked on the livingroom light and it darted out from behind some rock and went to the same corner, layed down and died where the other one did. How romantic.... Anyways, my water parameters seem perfect. I was told by sombody that has been to that store that it was more than likely a bacteria infection from the store. He also said that his last visit there, a lot of ich was on some fish. Not trying to start anything but just posting my experience with the store. I will be going back to that store early next week to get the cheapest fish I can find and see what happens. I just found it too much of a coincidence that they both died within 15 hours.

That's John W that you spoke with. If you take him the fish and some water, he will hook you up. They always make things right. If I am not mistaken, Those fish just arrived at the store last night. I was there earlier in the day and they were expecting a shipment. I never buy my fish the day they arrive, I will always wait until they have been in the system a few days.

This was on Saturday, the 5th. I dont know if they can do anything for me due to me already getting rid of the fish. Due to me being almost an hour away (Browns Mills), wasnt planning on going back there until the 15th with a buddy of mine that wants to check out the store because I talked it up so much until the clowns died. By the way, I wasnt impying that they are a bad store. I have only been there once and would love to give another chance and was planning on getting a good sized rock, salt and a cheap fish or two. Think if i bring a sample of my water in would help?

Without a doubt. I know these guys very well, they are more than willing to try and help out. What do you have as far as your set up?? I am also in Browns Mills now, maybe I could even try and help. I used to live in Delran, that was THE store to go to. I make the trip now because I don't trust anyone else. Any problem I have ever had, they made it right. I didn't think you were trying to name them as bad. But looking at the forums, it's getting tough to find a nice South Jersey store anymore!!!! I am just trying to help people who may not be as familiar with these guys as I am.

I always stop there whenever we're in the area. Always have been good to me. Went there a year and ahalf ago when they were having the Halloween late night sale or whatever it was called and full price would of cost me over 175, sale was around 100 and walked out paying like 70! They always hook you up and if they don't know something and John's not there they'll call him on his cell and ask him.
BTW i'm heading there tomorrow around 2pm or so. ;D anyone know if they got any skunk cleaner shrimp in? Haven't been able to find one since mine died.. (Go figure)

This time around, I had a better experience at the Delran store. I was told to see Drew (Thanks Jadie26) and got hooked up. Especially with a beautiful, decent sized piece of LR. So far, the hitchikers I have seen are 3 emerald crabs, 3 snails and a Sally Lightfoot. This is only on one side of the rock. Cant see the back of it due to it facing the back of my painted tank. I purchased a few Green Chromis due to them being cheap and didnt want another costly loss like the clowns. So far, so good. They ate immidietly after acclimation. So far, so good. I know it sounds cheesy but this is my first SW attempt and exited to finally see some life in the tank.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We all set out to do our best to keep our creatures alive but death is inevitable in this hobby. It happens, especially in a "first attempt". Even though it's hard to "sacrifice" any creature, some of the less expensive, hardier creatures such as cromis and cardinals may be a better choice to start. Keep a couple 3 cromie's alive for a few months then move up to the clowns, etc. No matter how hardy and healthy a fish is at a LFS, new tanks are tough on the creatures.

I stopped by the new store in Mays Landing the other day as was quite impressed. Really nice / knowledgeable people. I even overheard one of the salesmen recommending that a customer take is slow and get it right before throwing in fish before their tank was ready. Usually, it's the other way around. I was there when they were unpacking their marine fish shipment and the employee was very meticulous about his acclimation process. I was there for at least an hour and they were still dripping when I left.

Their pricing seems real reasonable as well. It's tough to beat online dry-good pricing, but these guy's get pretty close.

I was pretty pleased with the pricing at the Delran one yesterday. Matter of fact, I am going there again after work today to browse around. Wife is gonna kill me.