• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Phosban Reactor 150

Ive been struggling to keep my phosphates in check for the last year. They usually hover around .12 - .08 So I just bought a phosban reactor 150 and filled it up with about three inches of rowaphos. I watched a video on how it should work and all looks well. My question is this: How often do you switch out the media? I was hoping to replace it once a month but was wondering what other people do as well.
Thanks

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
That depends on your system. I would test weekly and once the phosphate starts to rise you know it's time to replace. Then you know that every x number weeks it has to be changed.

Update!!!

I checked my phosphates after having the reactor running for 48 hours and they dropped from .12 to .08 Than I just checked it today and I tested my water twice using my Hannah checker and they are now reading ZERO!!! This reactor has only been running since Thursday. Is this possible??? has anyone ever had their phosphates drop this quick?

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Update!!!

I checked my phosphates after having the reactor running for 48 hours and they dropped from .12 to .08 Than I just checked it today and I tested my water twice using my Hannah checker and they are now reading ZERO!!! This reactor has only been running since Thursday. Is this possible??? has anyone ever had their phosphates drop this quick?
Yes it can drop quickly. Just be careful not bottom out Phosphate and Nitrate cause you could end up with dinoflagellates.

I just checked my nitrates and they went from 13.2 to 7.5 in about five days. That’s a decent drop but there is still a trace of them. I’m hoping they don’t bottom out anymore.

Update:

I just tested my phosphates and they are now reading .04. It appears in about week my rowaphos gfo went through about 8 ounces of the product. While I love the fact that it reduced my phosphates almost instantly, I’m scared to think of what this will cost me to run on a daily basis. Any suggestions on how to make gfo last any longer or any suggestions on some really cheap gfo.
Thanks