• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

phosban reactor?

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Matt, If you slow the flow in the second reactor via a valve you would cause back pressure on the first reactor which would slow it to the speed you are achieving in the second. Hope you follow me. Running GFO and carbon there is no need to have different rates. Just pack the carbon tight and it will not tumble. In order for the GFO to tumble for lack of a better word you will be going slow enough anyway for the water to have enough contact time and work.

Taz

PS when I say tumble the GFO what I mean it start the water flow slowly until you see the media lift a little and maybe with a hair more flow you will see only the very top layer move/bubble slightly like it is percolating. You have to watch very closely to see this action.

Tazmaniancowboy said:
Matt, If you slow the flow in the second reactor via a valve you would cause back pressure on the first reactor which would slow it to the speed you are achieving in the second. Hope you follow me. Running GFO and carbon there is no need to have different rates. Just pack the carbon tight and it will not tumble. In order for the GFO to tumble for lack of a better word you will be going slow enough anyway for the water to have enough contact time and work.

Taz

PS when I say tumble the GFO what I mean it start the water flow slowly until you see the media lift a little and maybe with a hair more flow you will see only the very top layer move/bubble slightly like it is percolating. You have to watch very closely to see this action.

Makes sense. Thanks Taz.

I know this is an older thread but it has great information in it. I have a TLF reactor that I want to put phosban in.. my problem is my tank is 26g with a 10g sump.... maybe 30g total (have a lot of lr in the tanks). How much of the media do I place in the reactor. I am aware that it shouldn't tumble and have an adjustment valve.

Thanks.

Recommended usage:
Use 50g per 50 gallons of saltwater.

There are grams to teaspoon/tablespoon calculators if you google it. This may help with measurement.