• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Picking up the pieces... and moving forward!

njhc

Banned
Well as most of us Jersey residents know Hurricane Sandy devastated our homes and destroyed our tanks, at least that's the story for me and my brother in law from union beach NJ. The surge we got hit with blew out our filters, pumps, lights ( 2x ballasts :( ) and the worst part our beautiful fish, SPS and LPS coral :mad: . For some reason we didn't ave the resources to save our beautiful fish and amazing corals. Although Sandy wiped out 4 years of hard work and happiness it hasn't taken our drive and determination to make it right again :positive: , so...... I am picking up the peices buying used gear and going harder then ever. My goal making my 90 gallon tank into the SPS tank I have always dreamed of having, we were close last time but just not there.. Most of you can check it out in Youtube under "Parsells reef tank" I will begin to take photos tomorrow and hopefully you guys will follow my progress. It will be slow but we will be one of the nicest SPS tanks you can have for a 90 Gallon :biggrin: .

So ..... Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and I glad to Be Back!!! Have a great new years!!!

njhc

Banned
IMG_20121226_220231.jpg
So We begin... not what the rock set up is going to look like but I have to cycle and get my snails and hermit crabs cleaning. Since I lost a mass amount of life I got rid of mostly everything except a couple SPS skeletons IMG_20121226_220256.jpg It still hurts to see those tanks on youtube and Im gonna do what it takes to get there.

The goal, make nice caves with lots of cliffs with massive SPS and a "Emperor Angel" yup I said it an Emporer and I will raise him to not eat coral... now here comes the no-Sayers. DON DON DON!! Well Im very excited to kick #$@ !!!

njhc

Banned
So today I dove into the wallet and spent a few bucks, I got a much needed float switch, this is Key IMG_20121228_004216.jpg I spent more than I wanted too "Tropiquarium " need I say more, but I need it, I cant be adding water every 2 days when the sump runs dry. I also got a powerhead 1250 for $35bucks tis wasnt a bad purchase IMG_20121228_004224.jpg I also grabbed a few odds and ends IMG_20121228_004230.jpg needless to say $200 bucks later and shes running a lot better. I also purchased something I shouldn't of.... IMG_20121228_004337.jpg yup an Purple-Tip sour grape Ritteri anemone , I had no choice it was a insane sale and the tank has cycled and ready for something nice.. its about 12 inchs across and vibrant Green purple tips I understand.... what the #@%$ is an anemone doing in a tank tat is going to be housing SPS, been there done that, like Nike says "Just Do IT" IMG_20121228_004358.jpg

njhc

Banned
So the float switch is hooked up with a 5 gallon tub IMG_20121229_000131.jpg with a pump and heater to make sure the fresh water is the right temp.IMG_20121229_000112.jpg The anemone is looking very healthy and happy IMG_20121230_105539.jpg , I also purchased a frag Yuma but I wont go SPS until I get the ballast for the 2nd 150w halide. FYI, I was able to cycle this tank for fish and anemone and coral in 2.5 weeks using this IMG_20121229_000155.jpg and I dose calcium, Ion and strontium IMG_20121229_000230.jpg Just be careful because you can really wack out your PH levels...

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I’d get rid of that heater in the five gallon bucket. The float switch will add very small quantities (when needed), with very little impact on total tank temperature. The problem is going to be when the water level drops too low in that bucket and blows an overheated heater.

njhc

Banned
Paul you hit the nail right on the head.... took it out same day, water level got low and started to melt a little so scrapped the idea and purchased a small mini heater for 12 bucks. I am concerned with the SPS corals in the future and I don't want cold water hitting the corals, pro-caution taken.. thanks for the heads up I can tell you been there done that.

njhc

Banned
Has anyone had luck with the led set below?

48-51" EVO 48 Aquarium LED*Light

Dimension approx: 46.5" X 5" X 1"

32x HQ 3W LED (24x 10000K daylight, 8x 460nm Actinic)

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I have not had experience with that particular light but I do know that brand is solid.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Has anyone had luck with the led set below?

48-51" EVO 48 Aquarium LED*Light

Dimension approx: 46.5" X 5" X 1"

32x HQ 3W LED (24x 10000K daylight, 8x 460nm Actinic)

Are you talking about the Evolution LED Lights or the Aquatraders (Beamswork) EVO line?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Are you talking about the Evolution LED Lights or the Aquatraders (Beamswork) EVO line?

Looking at dimensions and specifications, I think he's talking about THESE GUYS.

And to answer njhc's question; I would think with a 24 white to 8 blue, that that would be a very "white" look.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I actually have a 48" 3w Quad Model running on my 90 gallon. I must admit that the color is a tad bit more white than I would like but they are actually good fixtures for the price. They were growing my SPS until I had a mini-cycle happen due to a sump/refugium change and lost most of them. However, reading more and more about LEDs, it's really best to get a modular fixture or a DIY so you can get the best possible combinations of colors,high quality chips, and the ability to dim the lights.

njhc

Banned
Thanks guys very helpful, I think I'm gonna pull the trigger and pick up 3x Kessils next week. Captivating corals in Freehold has the 20 and 15ks for $225 and they look amazing! I'm trying to go cheap but I don't want to get that "white" color . I'm really looking for that blue "black light" purple look. Anyone have any other suggestions ?

PS: I've been on a buying spree with an amazing Mccoster Wrasse, 2 clowns misbar single dot, couple small frags, midas blenny and a rainbow eye hawk fish. Post pics soon