• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Plans for my 210 Upgrade

I would like positive and negative feed back on this plan that I drew up for my 210 upgrade. The sump will be located in the basement.

210Design.jpg

rich, your frags in the sump may do better on an auxillary tank instead of inline. there's gonna be so much water and some detritus that may settle down there being in line of the linear water flow. It looks like you have valves in your manifold that you'll be able to use with an aux tank so that shouldn't be a problem. I would keep LR and maybe your reactors and stuff in that portion of the sump instead. What size pump and what gallonage do you plan on using as a return pump?

SirFragalot said:
That is going to be a great set up!! Looking forward to seeing a photo journal. Do you have a timeline planned?

Unfortunately I do not. My basement is currently being remodeled and I do not know when that's going to be done. This is going to be a slow build. I do have most of the equipment for the upgrade though.

concept3 said:
rich, your frags in the sump may do better on an auxillary tank instead of inline. there's gonna be so much water and some detritus that may settle down there being in line of the linear water flow. It looks like you have valves in your manifold that you'll be able to use with an aux tank so that shouldn't be a problem. I would keep LR and maybe your reactors and stuff in that portion of the sump instead. What size pump and what gallonage do you plan on using as a return pump?

I thought about doing a separate frag tank but I'm trying not to add more water to the total volume. More water, bigger water changes. I'm currently using a filter sock in my sump and the sump is super clean. I'm also hoping that the T that's in the frag area, will keep that area clean with the flow coming out of it. I will be using a ReeFlo Barracuda (4500gph) pump. The sump will be approx. 15 feet away from the DT. I will be limiting the flow through the sump and I will not incorporate a refugium as I will be using Brightwell products to run a ULN setup. The frags in the sump is not set in stone.

Now I'm trying to decide what size pvc should I make the manifold.

put the bubble trap on the side right before the pump back into the tank (the left baffle in the picture)

this way it stops bubbles from getting into the display rather then getting into the frag section.

onefish2fish said:
put the bubble trap on the side right before the pump back into the tank (the left baffle in the picture)

this way it stops bubbles from getting into the display rather then getting into the frag section.

If I put the bubble trap on the left side, than the frags might not be to happy with all of the bubbles from the skimmer, if I go this route. I would like to make the frag section 36" long. That way the bubbles will be minimal by the time it get to the return section. The height of the water in the frag section will be 12-14" high. I will be able to do this with the height of the baffle on the left. The hole for the return will be at the bottom. So I'm hoping not to get any bubbles into the display.

It was also brought to my attention that my Barracuda pump will not work for this application. I will have to get a Reeflow Hammerhead pump since the head pressure will be higher than what the Barracuda can handle. Thanks adesimone1/Anthony. Now I will have to search for a Hammerhead. I know Dantheman was selling two of them, but I think he sold them both.

Can anyone give me an idea of the size of pvc that I will need for the manifold?