• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Planted tank light

I picked up a rimless 5 gallon and was thinking of doing macroalgae vs corals. My only concern is the light is a 6watt 10 led fixture. Will this be enough or not?

I guess the answer is maybe. I have a couple of LEDs in my refuge that are household screw in type that are maybe 12 watts total in the 5500 spectrum and my chaeto and mangrove grow like weeds under them. I also have purple coralline that does well under them ( it is growing inside the skimmer and on the chaeto ) so the answer is probably and you won't know until it grows and thrives or it doesn't. So my official answer is "maybe". HTH.... Lmao.

whether LEDs will work or not is completely dependent on what type of fixture it is. Do you have a brand name of it etc that could be looked up to find the exact specifications of it? And dimensions of the tank as well, is it a standard 5 gal or a cube so that its taller etc.

More than likely the answer is yes it can grow lower light plants but it depends on what kind of leds and optics etc.

Looks a little weak but a simple bulb change might be all you need. Something in the spectrum area that Cdiggy said he uses will work.
I always used a clip on shop light with a spot in it so nothing fancy is needed.