• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Please Help

I have a 55 Gallon Tank With an Eco-Systems 60 Refugium. The Refugium is HOB Running on a RIO 60 Pump. The Dimensions of the Fuge are 30" Long 4.5 Inches Wide and 11.5 Inches Deep with miracle Mud for the Substrate. The tank is a little over a month old With 69 LBS of Live Rock and A clean up crew. I have Grape Calupera planted in the Miracle Mud in the refugium. But I have noticed CYANOBACTERIA Growing in the Refugium ---- Is this normal?? My Ammonia Is 0.0 My Nitrites is 0.0 My Nitrates is 0.0 My SG is 1.023 my PH is 8.0 to 8.2 --- Yhe Refugium Light is left on for 24/7 so the Calupera wont go sexual --- Any Suggestions would be greatly appreciatet

Thanks

Dan Mecco

Dan, cyano in a low flow fuge is normal. Not great, but normal. Be very wary if it spreads. If it does not, and stays local, then it's fine to leave there.

Depending on the purpose of you fuge, you can probably increase the flow - especially where the cyano is - in your fuge.

HTH
GH

thats why i say NO to miracle skum! Too many nutrients = bacteria blooms! Never had cyno in my fuge, but everyone i know that used miracle mud had the same problem your having. I say get rid of the mud and use regular sand, something like south down. Good luck.

I did E-Mail ECO-Systems I will Copy and Paste the Reply. I Dont know if this is B/S but we will soon See ---- I set up My Tank on 9-11-04 so Its a fairly new tank This Is what they said

Dan-

If it is less than 5 months - yes it is normal.
If it is more than 5 months - the red slime algae..indicates that there is not enough flow WITHIN your Ecosystem so place a powerhead that will blow water from 1st/2nd chamber baffle towards the 3rd chamber...over and across the Miracle Mud bed so there is no disturbance of the MM bed (if not you will have cloudy water). Also position it so that the water forced over the MM bed will more or less "hit" the 3rd chamber (not just flow over it) as that will lead to a vortex cyclign that will tremendously increase the efficiency of the MM bed as a filtering medium.

Valerie Tann
EcoSystem Aquarium

--------------------------------------

Please visit www.coralmagazine.com for information on this premier marine aquarium publication.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, October 04, 2004 9:27 AM
To: marine@ecosystemaquarium.com
Subject: Cyano In My Refugium 60

I have Grape Caluerpa in my Refugium 60 an a 55 Gallon tank.

I noticed CYANO IN THERE is This Normal??

Please Advise Dan

I amn also interested in this. I also have a Ecosystem. Will be starting it in about a week or so with rock. The way I see it. If you have chosen the Ecosystem, you have chosen a approach. That is different then other approachs. I would stick with it. I have read a lot of postive reviews on this system. I will keep all up-to-date on my own progress.

I have put a Power head in the Fuge for H20 Circulation only has nothing to do with the operation of the fuge --- We will see what happens

Its going quite well actually ---- The Cyano Has all but left and No further growth has been noted --- I guess Eco-Systems was correct

Thanks for Concern I appreciate it very Much Had me pretty upset

Dan

Glad to hear things are working out. Generally speaking, cyano in a fuge is normal. It kind of a balancing act to see how much flow is needed to keep cyano away while keeping it low enough to allow full reproduction of pods and such. As is everything in this hobby, it's a very tight balancing act...

Im Using Grape Calupera ---- But I leave Light on 24/7 to keep it from going Sexual and I wpoul love to share notes with you on these Eco-Systems Fuges

Dan