• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Plumbing Frag tank

As some of you who were there will know, i got a little Carried away during the TSA live sale. Long story short I'm gonna be out of room real quick.

I want to add a small tank to my existing set up. Is it possible to plumb another tank to my main display (hoping to use one of the Petco rimless tanks). Is there any build threads i could follow? Any way to do it without buying another overflow box? Soft tubing or PVC? Etc. Etc. etc.

Possible yes, just takes planning for fail safes. I'm likely going to plumb a 2nd tank to my main system to share the filtration , will let you know when I start.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
As some of you who were there will know, i got a little Carried away during the TSA live sale. Long story short I'm gonna be out of room real quick.

I want to add a small tank to my existing set up. Is it possible to plumb another tank to my main display (hoping to use one of the Petco rimless tanks). Is there any build threads i could follow? Any way to do it without buying another overflow box? Soft tubing or PVC? Etc. Etc. etc.
LOL :welcoming: How many frags did you buy on Sunday? I was there Saturday and Sunday 12 hours each day. I got three frags and spent $440. I had so much fun on the thread and PMs with so many.

LOL :welcoming: How many frags did you buy on Sunday? I was there Saturday and Sunday 12 hours each day. I got three frags and spent $440. I had so much fun on the thread and PMs with so many.
21 frags $604 lol. I wanted to die when i saw the total. $60 more and you could have gotten the extra entries to win the lights and other stuff!

:eek:

No Taylor ham sandwiches for you for a while :laugh:
Definitely not. Not what I was expecting AT ALL. I really did not think i got that many. I only thought I was gonna spend around $300 bc i got 2 torches and a couple mystery sps. Then i saw the real damage and my heart sank

D

Deleted member 27248

I have two frags attached to my display and sump.i just use two 1" bulkheads drilled in the back of the tanks. Each one going to sump. Its cheap and effective. Although depending on how much flow you have, it may make noise.

Attachments

• 16286038986376794724099550245540.jpg
    16286038986376794724099550245540.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
  • 16286039203487063706082647221955.jpg
    16286039203487063706082647221955.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
I have two frags attached to my display and sump.i just use two 1" bulkheads drilled in the back of the tanks. Each one going to sump. Its cheap and effective. Although depending on how much flow you have, it may make noise.
That's what I'm thinking on how to work it but i need it to be as quiet as possible so idk what the best way to do it is. Would a gate valve work? to limit flow and quiet it down i mean? (Or the two little fishies valve)

Bump. I still need some help on the best way to do this. Plumbing wise, how should I go about it to make it as quiet as possible?

So after doing some thinking, I'm probably going to add a T fitting to one of the return lines and have that directed to the other tank, probably to a spray bar. This would share the same return pump. Then have a surface skimmer to drain it back to the same sump like Maximus has it. This should prevent any flooding/drying out. It will make noise though.

If you want yours to be quiet, your going to need 2 returns at different heights and have it setup like a herbie, but with a frag tank, I'm not sure how much lower you can go since they tend to be shallow. Then there is also the extra water the frag tank will siphon back into the sump. This also requires drilling.

What size sump do you have?