• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

pre drilled question?

I am looking to get into the hobby as some of you already know . I have been looking at new and used 72 gal and 90 gal bowfronts. If I where to buy new i would buy predrilled, but there have been several deal that have come up that are saltwater setups but may not be pre drilled would you still buy if you could svae anywhere from 500 to 1000 dollars?

Chuck

The whole idea with a pre-drilled tank is so that you can run a set up with a sump. A sump is just a pool of water where you can increase the total volume of water and also conveniently dump all your ugly equipment down there. Other adjustments are to include a refugium in the sump.

That stated, it's perfectly fine to a tank without a sump. You will have a bit of equipment in the back and there will be some downsides. Off the top of my head - if you plan on having anemones, there will be increased risk since anemones do walk around and the last thing you want is for it walk on the heater.

If on the other hand you plan on purchasing an "overflow" box - you need to factor in that cost as well. Back in the day - the ones I used constantly had bubbles in the tube and frankly I had more than my share of floods. I think the new design these days is much better but I don't have any experience.

Or you could drill the tank yourself.

Chuck,

I would buy the setup that makes you happy. It's apparent you have your heart set on a Bowfront. They do look nice but the space is not all that efficient. Obviously, the supply in the used market is a lot less, hence the reason you are not seeing many pre-drilled. You can do what Hawk says and get the used and buy a HOB overflow box (new will run you $40-$100, less if you DIY). Add in the plumbing, sump, return pumps, etc. I think drilling after the fact is not possible as most tanks will be tempered on the bottom (well I guess you can drill into the sides/back but now you're talking about how much your time is worth, etc.). Only you know if saving that money was worth it. I would get the thing that made me happy instead of having second thoughts later on.

pre-drilled is pretty big convenience in my book, personally i would just wait until a pre-drilled used came along. i'm sure you are anxious to get started but the wait is worth it. just keep checking this website as well as reefcentral.com. i'm not sure how you are saving 500-1000 by buying a used tank vs a new tank in a 75 bowfront. my 210 pre-drilled was $600 brand new! the place i got it was really cheap on their tanks because they hope you buy all the other stuff from them which is marked up significantly. i just called them and they have a 72 gallon bowfront for $249. the place is:

Value Pet & Tropical Fish Center
7949 S Crescent Blvd
Merchantville, NJ 08109
(856) 662-3666

that's where i bought my tank and stand from, just don't buy anything else from there...way too expensive on everything else. i guess they have to make up for selling tanks so cheap.