• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Problems with Calurpa & Cheato

I posted this question on RC and I'm getting mixed answers. I'm having problems everytime I put some cheato or calurpa in my sump. Whenever I do, it gets over run with algea and cyano and looks just horrible overall. I have a light on it 24/7 and the flow in the fuge section of my sump is great. There is calurpa in there now and looks bad. What could be the problem?

Try doing the reverse 50/ 50 light timing...
On in the evening when the display is off and off during the day when display is on..
Also, What's the Kelvin rating on the bulb?
You can purchase 6,500 and up to 9,000 Kelvin CF bulbs at home depot back by the security lighting section.. The lower Kelvin CF bulbs (Around 3500K) really promote that nuisence algae ... the higher Kelvin makes the macro grow so much faster...

I'm pretty sure it's a 6500K bulb. I'll try the reverse lighting and see how that does. Maybe I'll get a new bulb too.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Do you have a powerhead in your fuge? That helps ours a lot. Of course if I'm going to have nuicense algae, it may as well be in the sump!

(pardon for spelling, im typing w/ a baby in my arms)

I've never agreed with any advice to have a 24/7 light cycle in the fuge. One reason being is, well the problems that your having. Increased algae and Cyano (single cell algae& photosynthetic bacteria). The other reason is that multicelliar plants (macro) need a dark period to grow. During daylight, plants produce energy. In darkness, they use the energy to grow. It the same with animals. you grow mostly in your sleep.

That being said, having some algae grow in you sump is a good thing. thats one of the reasons for the sump, to grow other animals in your mini-ecosystem that you generally do not want to see in your display.

NEWSALT said:
Whenever I do, it gets over run with algea and cyano and looks just horrible overall... There is calurpa in there now and looks bad.

Your sump is not supposed to look nice, just be healthy with diversity. Its a sump, eco-"filter" were the nasties roam. but for me, I stare at my nasty sump, checking out the life even more then the display.

I would go with reverse light cycle also. To do so you probably want to go with cheato as you don't want the calurpa going sexual on you. And I also agree with Phyl if you don't have good flow in your fuge add a power head. My fuge is inline from drain to my pump so I get great turnover, but it is mostly flowing across the top of the algae. Cheato likes some water movement.

I've heard or read of Caulerpa going asexual on people, but it's never happened to me (knock on wood). I've been using it from day 1, always on the reverse light cycle of my main tank. I have really good flow going through the fuge, about 4" of sand, and rock rubble, too. Mine's been growing so fast, that I've had to thin it out twice in the last 8 weeks.

Did you anchor your caulerpa down by any chance? I pushed mine in the sand, and put some rubble on top so it can root.