• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Purple tang gone mad

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
Hey
Has anyone had a problem with a non reef safe purple tang?
Mine isn't,I bought a really nice zoa frag from a member of r2r and it looked like the polyps were melting away and disappearing,guess what my purple tang has been eating them I just caught him RIPPING them right off the mount and when I chased him away from the zoos he then decided to destroy a tabling acro. :mad:

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
adesimone1 said:
How often do you feed?
I have an auto feeder 2x/ day plus I leave seaveggie strips in there all day.
It just started a few days ago,I bought a 20+ polyp frag of cats eye zoo's and thats when he started I'm now down to 3 polyps.

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
adesimone1 said:
try feeding mysis it might help
The tank gets mysis every other day and frash clam twice a week.I don't think it's a hunger thing just 1 p***ed off tang for some reason

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I had a Yellow Tang some years ago that I had to get rid of...it developed a taste for corals as well.

I've had 3 Sailfins over the years and each one eventually started eating zoas. Ic an only keep palys now.
Jim give me a call when you catch him. I need to do some pruning so maybe we can work something out?