• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

PVC threads

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Planning all my fittings and pipes for my tank. Spent too much time watching videos.! Every video (including BRS) on plumbing an aquarium shows threaded PVC being wrapped in tape to give it a good seal. According to Lasco Fittings, the use of tape, doop and teflone paste is for metal pipes and fittings ONLY. They say when using PVC threads, to use a proper sealant...which is non-hardening, and doesn't add slipperiness. Can you guys tell me what that proper sealant is called for PVC threads?

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Excellent basic intro to gluing and working with PVC, lots of good tips...

And you might want to consider putting a few of these in the pvc lines...
They allow you to unscrew and disconnect sections of pipe so you can make future modifications (or just if you need to remove the pipe without ripping apart the whole system).

Here's a partial shot of my sump plumbing.
I have those union connectors, circled in purple, in strategic location so I can remove specific regions of plumbing (main return, overflows, etc) if necessary without ripping apart the whole system.

IMG_1042.jpeg

Also, something I now do on all my tanks - The green circle is a piece of PVC with two run offs. I teflon taped and screwed in two hose connectors then attached hoses with normal sprinkler valve controls in them (Rain Bird) to control flow through them. The one running to the left of the photo goes to my algae scrubber. The one to the right is actully not connected to anything atm and is shut off. They're there in case I want to add a reactor or anything else in the future - the plubbing is already there, no major pain in the butt re-plumbing.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
Thread tape works, you don't need much with PVC. Most of the time I find I don't need it. If it's an extremely small leak, I'll let salt creep handle it. The fish room floor doesn't care when it gets wet. :)

Excellent basic intro to gluing and working with PVC, lots of good tips...

And you might want to consider putting a few of these in the pvc lines...
They allow you to unscrew and disconnect sections of pipe so you can make future modifications (or just if you need to remove the pipe without ripping apart the whole system).

Here's a partial shot of my sump plumbing.
I have those union connectors, circled in purple, in strategic location so I can remove specific regions of plumbing (main return, overflows, etc) if necessary without ripping apart the whole system.

View attachment 28992

Also, something I now do on all my tanks - The green circle is a piece of PVC with two run offs. I teflon taped and screwed in two hose connectors then attached hoses with normal sprinkler valve controls in them (Rain Bird) to control flow through them. The one running to the left of the photo goes to my algae scrubber. The one to the right is actully not connected to anything atm and is shut off. They're there in case I want to add a reactor or anything else in the future - the plubbing is already there, no major pain in the butt re-plumbing.
Nice thinking ahead

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
@Mark_C the green circle...is that being fed by the return pump?

Yep. I have a DC return pump. If/when I add a component I just kick the return power up a notch. But, even so, the drain off the return isn't that bad, so you can easily run a reactor or two, or a reactor and scrubber without too much loss on the return, just make sure to have those inline valves to control the feeds.

Great info everyone. Well done. I will add that although there is product specific for PVC. You will find that a single wrap of any Teflon tape is sufficient. The reason some people advise against Teflon tape is because if you put to much on. You will cause a leak. And almost everyone thinks. More is better. It is not!