• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

"Python Patrol" in Florida

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Phil, your timing is perfect. My son is doing a science project on evasive species. There is a local park with a small man-made pond and last year some one dump about 12 pond fish in it. Well needless to say we were there a few weeks ago and there must be several hundred fish ranging in size from 1 inch to a foot. The park officials are letting people catch them and take them home but it's not easy; we tried with no luck.

If anyone has a cast net drop me a line. I tried other nets and a fishing pole, no luck.

Lol - are they the feeder comets? Those things can grow huge. At the Bronx Zoo in the Butterfly Conservatory- they have a small pond and I think those are all either fantail comets or just regular comets.

Hey if you use a net to catch them, I will certify the fish as "MAC-approved". ;) ;D

The common slider Turtles are also pretty invasive - though I guess they don't go around eating endangered birds/animals.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I have heard about the parrots. Funny thing is when I was a teenager a bird store had a fire and many parrots got loose. I lived in Norh Jersey. I actually captured one but it was so messed up didn't last more than a week. I would occassionally see them flying around. I wonder if they are the same ones or same family.

MAVL666 said:
Phil, your timing is perfect. My son is doing a science project on evasive species. There is a local park with a small man-made pond and last year some one dump about 12 pond fish in it. Well needless to say we were there a few weeks ago and there must be several hundred fish ranging in size from 1 inch to a foot. The park officials are letting people catch them and take them home but it's not easy; we tried with no luck.

If anyone has a cast net drop me a line. I tried other nets and a fishing pole, no luck.

IMHO this is the stupidest thing ive heard this week. not on your part, on the park officials end. so what they are saying is, catch all you want and release them in other ponds... which we know is bound to happen because it did in the first place.

ill have to take a ride down to florida and help reduce the snake population...lol. these two articles are crazy, especially the parots in brooklyn. i work in ny and havent heard of this until now.