• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Quiet One return pump not firing up

I just did a water change and my return pump will not turn on. I have tried plugging it in other outlets and still no luck. This has happened to me in the past and when I would try a different outlet it would always fire up.

Any suggestions - Jon

mine used to do that and i would have to take the propeller out and clean it. then plug it back in and it would fire. but sometimes just plugging it in and out would get it turning.

How do you take the impeller out? I have tried to get that the plastic cap off that covers it but have not had any luck.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I was going to suggest taking it apart as well. Unfortunately I only know how to do that with a mag drive. There should be screws attaching the front of the impeller housing to the body though. No?

There are no screws of this pump... It is very strange and is also why they are pretty cheap. I guess you get what you pay for.
Jon

You have to GENTLY turn the thing in the front, where the impeller sits under, and it will come off. Then you can clean up the impeller and the rest of the inside. I had a Quiet One 4000 for my 75 and absolutely loved that thing. Never had a problem with it whatsoever.

the quiet one pumps are very hard to get apart the easiest way is to take a pair of pliers with rubber coated handles and use the handle end to twist it out like this:

QuietOnePumpDisassembly.jpg