• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Re-aquascape? Getting frustrated. Need Help / Advise/ Comments

Well, I have had my 70 gallon tank up for just about a year now. Everything was going good until recently. I had a Alk problem for a bit and lost a lot of corals and a clam, but that is straightened out now. Now the tank is starting to get a lot of green algae. It is choking out corals and it getting on my nerves. To try and correct this I have been skimming wet and blowing off the rocks almost daily. I am using Mechanical filtration to remove the solids the skimmer can't get and the filter pad is being changed daily. I have reduced my feeding down to every other day. I hope I am on the right path to fix this. I am also second guessing my aquascaping. I feel it has to many caves which create shade. I am thinking about redoing this as well. When I set it up initially I kept the rock off the glass all the way around. By doing this I feel I have a lot of wasted space. Below are pictures and any advise / feedback is appreciated. I am to the point where I just want to start over...
1001_03_11_08_7_05_08.JPG

1001_03_11_08_7_05_51.JPG

1001_03_11_08_7_06_04.JPG

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Paul

Are you running Phosban? It made a big difference in my tank. Sorry I missed you at the swap.

Bob

how about RODI?

Personally if your load is light - you may pull some LR out if you think it's too much.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Paul

Are you're sps browning? The phosban will help that too.

Bob

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
CONSTANTNE said:
I think your aquascape looks nice.

I agree. I really like your aquascaping. I would try to corrent the HA problem without changing the rockwork. I don't think the shaded areas are the source of your trouble. Also, while it may seem like a waste of space, it's a good thing to keep the rock off the glass (front and sides at least).

The rock is off the glass all the way around including the back. Any additional tips on getting rid of the Hair Algae?

Can you give us water parameters? You mention you lost a few corals and a clam, maybe your nitrates spiked. What is your clean up crew like?
I like the caves as well. If anything i would remove some of the rock as already mentioned. Maybe just the top rock on the right, that way it looks more irregular.