• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Re-Charging a Cati-Ani unit...

malulu

NJRC Member
(1)
Happy New Year to all...

(2)
It is the time for me to recharging my Cati-Ani unit again, if anyone is interested, please welcome to stop by. This time, i will take pics for the whole process and post it out here somewhere, so others can be refer to it later. I have took pics before on this process, but over the time, i sort of changed the ways i do thing to simplified the tasks (not necessary shorten the time), so need new pics to post.

Time: Jan 10th (1pm - 4pm)
(3 miles north of RedSand, and 3 miles west of OceanGallaryII)

Contact info: Please PM me for address, and my mobile #

thx

malulu said:
(1)
Happy New Year to all...

(2)
It is the time for me to recharging my Cati-Ani unit again, if anyone is interested, please welcome to stop by. This time, i will take pics for the whole process and post it out here somewhere, so others can be refer to it later. I have took pics before on this process, but over the time, i sort of changed the ways i do thing to simplified the tasks (not necessary shorten the time), so need new pics to post.

Time: Jan 10th (1pm - 4pm)
(3 miles north of RedSand, and 3 miles west of OceanGallaryII)

Contact info: Please PM me for address, and my mobile #

thx

I am going to try to make it there

malulu

NJRC Member
Reposting from Google Cache as of October 11, 2010, 02:20:48 PM

After nine-Months... I finally have time to post this... Sorry for the delay!
:-[

First of all, thanks again for Ron (rkaiser)'s help to take pics on the steps...

Here is some of the charging instructions that I got off the web:

(1) a PDF from Aqua Technic
http://www.allensaquariums.com/AquaTechnic%20Kati%20Ani%20Instructions.pdf

(2) a posting from Steven Pro, to prevent the possible broken links (I copied those scanned images and upload them under my own location)
http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic70811-14-5.aspx

kati-ani-recharge-instructions-1.jpg
kati-ani-recharge-instructions-2.jpg

kati-ani-recharge-instructions-3.jpg

malulu

NJRC Member
Here are the Steps:

This is the the Unit comparison: Too bad that the photo are taken under different lighting conditions - indoor/outdoor/time-of-date, hence can not be used as a TRUE color comparison).

From LEFT to Right:

1. Unit need to recharge.
2. After the Chemical recharge step(s).
3. After the Final recharge process.
4. After the first 50gal usage (noticed by the top portion of color changed)

050.jpg

malulu

NJRC Member
Rinsing the Unit...
- once the unit being used up (by checking the TDS output > 10)
- i would take them out and rinse them with tap water.

Necessary Protective Gears!!
009.jpg

I dress up with thick with long sleeve!!
010.jpg

The Ani unit looks dried after used
002.jpg

Hookup hose to the outlet side
003.jpg

Run water inside, it came out from the inlet side
004.jpg

Put on a cap, shake them lose
005.jpg

Do the same with the Kati unit
006.jpg

Result
007.jpg

malulu

NJRC Member
The REAL Charging Fun Begin!
Note:
- The instructions show to recharge the Kati unit first
- Then use that water from a GOOD Kati to recharge the Ani unit
- This mean you can't charge your Ani at all until the Kati was done! 1+ hour will be wasted!!
- I got this TRICK from Bruce: Store some extra Kati water first! before it used up!
- Therefore, I can now charging them BOTH at the same time (significantly reduced the Total ReCharge time by half!!)
- Thanks again to Bruce for this great time saver!

The Recipe!
008.jpg

Measuring the NaOH
011.jpg

For the Unit #5, I need 400 gram
012.jpg

Pouring in with the mix (Kati water - see note on top) and slowly stir them with a PVC pipe
013.jpg

This need to set it up high for the gravity feed to work
014.jpg

the Fun part - pour some ACID!
016.jpg

Mix it with 6 parts of regular TAP water
017.jpg

Rinse the container thoroughly before putting it aside for storage
018.jpg

Hookup the hose from the bucket to the unit
019.jpg

Stir it with a PVC pipe
020.jpg

Watch out for this type of VALVE!! it LEAKS!! and SPILL!!
not recommended!! but i can't find a better substitution parts yet!![/b]

021.jpg

Look at the dripping on the floor!! (this is a 6:1 ACID:WATER mix)
022.jpg

Hookup the KATI outlet into a waste collection bucket
023.jpg

Same with the ANI unit
024.jpg

Meassure the output dripping flow (We forgot to took pics of it, so, redoing this with a fresh TAP water for taking pics purpose)
025-addon.jpg

Set a timer, and started to fill a measuring cup
026-addon.jpg

Stop when time is UP... adjust the flow acordingly to your needed
027-addon.jpg

Hopefully they will be Neutralized? Bruce said the Engineer said the water is Neutral and can be drink... (definitely not me!)

028.jpg

Let it run for 45+ mins and sit for 15+ mins
029.jpg

Covered it up, no one get near it!!
030.jpg

031.jpg

About 1+ hour later
032.jpg

malulu

NJRC Member
Flushing steps...

Run TAP water through the unit - Flush the Kati unit with TAP water according to your units size
033.jpg

Then connect them to the normal operation setup:
- TAP water to Kati-inlet
- Kati-outlet to Ani-inlet
- Ani-outlet to waste-bucket
034.jpg

Measure the Ani-outlet with a TDS meter
035.jpg

It started from 1999+ down to 156, then to 94
036.jpg
037.jpg

Down to 22
038.jpg

Then to 10-ish, I then stop the Flush (the whole flush took about 15+ mins)
039.jpg

malulu

NJRC Member
Finalized
Hooking it back
040.jpg

At this time, it read as INPUT / OUTPUT
041.jpg

This is what the color looks like as of now
042.jpg

After 10 mins of usage
045.jpg

Pic taken in the morning - After 50g of water usage
047.jpg

TDS reading
048.jpg

pH input from TAP water source
pH-BEFORE.jpg

pH output from Kati-Ani
pH-AFTER.jpg

malulu

NJRC Member
Overall, the recharge process may took about 2.5 hours if you time it right

For me, i just set up the recharge and go to do something else, then come back 1.5+ hours later to Flush the units, so total of about 3 hours would be enough.

it is not that difficult a task, just the nasty chemical stuffs get me worried about my kids to get near to it

If anyone of you need help with the recharge, please let me know, or want to see it in person, i will info you when i do my next recharge (may be in December).

thx

malulu

NJRC Member
From rkaiser Reply on: October 11, 2010, 04:46:36 PM
Very helpful and much appreciated!!!

From Dave Reply on: October 11, 2010, 05:30:29 PM
Thanks David this is great. I am going to have to do mine soon. I guess I have to double everything on the plan for the #10 unit. Should be fun figuring out how to run the buckets. I am considering going over to tractor supply and getting some 10 gal. buckets, but looks like all they have a galvanized steel.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/home-improvement/hardware/cleaning-equipment-accessories/brooms-dust-pans/behrens-10-gal-galvanized-sheet-steel-garbage-pail-2220185

The search continues.

From Malulu Reply on: October 11, 2010, 10:43:53 PM

Yeah Right - a steel PLUS Acid!! going to be fun!

Seriously, May be we can try it with the same 5 Gals bucket with 3:1 (ACID : WATER), do you think it would work? I would think so...

malulu

NJRC Member
Going to do a recharge very soon around? Any one want to come and see?

it would be either July 2nd, 2011 or next week July 9th, 2011. (depends on my order of NaOH came in this week or not.)

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Wow, great documentation of your re-charge process David! Looks like a lot of work, are you sure it's worth it? ;D

malulu

NJRC Member
Few member asked me, it this worth it??

in my own opinion:

(1) If i ever want to do it again?
- Probably not.
- I really like the good old days, just swap the filter and be done with it.

(2) I was thinking to save water (also save $)... but how much can I really save?
- right now, my Town water in-let TDS is ~200. I can only last ~350 gals per charge.
- recharging material is about $10 per charge
- every recharge it will used(wasted) about 25 gals of water.
- so my RO/DI water premium cost is: 350g / $10 ==> 35g per dollar
- i just did a quick google search, it said average about 2 cents per gallon
- since i do not have waste, i saved 350 g x 3 ==> 1000g (about $20!!)
- so, compared to RO/DI, my 350g water cost is $7 PLUS $10 recharge MINUS the $20 supposed to be wasted, i saved $3.
- need 350g so called "pure-water" + 25g watsed, paid $17.

(3) so, if someone can help to do the math on a regular RO/DI, it will be great help to compare the cost.
- how much gals of water can you produce with a regular RO/DI unit before replacing filter?
- how much is the filter cost?

thx

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I guess that too would depend on the in-let TDS for whoever is testing the RO/DI.

I haven't kept track of gallons made nor gallons wasted with my RO/DI, but I know I've only changed the carbon and sediment filters on mine and I've had it over a year. The DI resin is the "color changing" type and it still is clean, so even though I bought the replacement resin, I didn't change it yet. My dual meter says around 5 TDS after my RO filters and 0 TDS after DI cartridge, so I'm pretty sure it's still working as intended.

As far as costs, the two filters I did replace cost:

Sediment Filter - $2.40
Carbon Block - $8.80
DI Resin - $9.60

Total - $11.20 without the resin, $20.20 if I replaced the resin too.

Of course you would have to add in the cost of all the water I wasted with the RO/DI, but I just bought a 75GPD upgrade (extra RO membrane) that has cut my waste water down tremendously. I get almost 50/50 waste to filtered water with this upgrade and I used to be more around 75/25 waste/filtered.

I would think that in terms of overall savings... Kati Ani would probably more economical than RO/DI considering there is no waste water. But my question regarding it being "worth it" was more directed at recharging it as opposed to just buying new media. Is that stuff that expensive?

malulu

NJRC Member
I have the Cati-Ani Unit #5, it don't matter in size, the ONLY difference is how OFTEN do i need to recharge.

you can not just BUY the Kati-Ani media, the most expensive $ in on that media, the rest is just a empty case.

a Unit 5 cost around $700 (i don't remember exact $), at that time i paid the full retail price, as Bruce said he will refund me the different when the group buy occurred.... but no one really into the group buy, so i end up paid in full without any discount.

the recharging need:
(1) Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH) about $2.5 per pound (i need it 1.1 pound per charge)
(2) Muriatic Acid about $7.25 per gallon (i need 0.7 gal per charge).

the process to recharge is the deal breaker! too much trouble. at that time, i was expected to have Bruce to do the recharge for some fee, but he lives too far away from him (2+ hours drive one-way).

bottom line:
- yes, the Kati-Ani did save $... but how much? is it worth the trouble?
- also the unit cost about than double compared to regular RO/DI unit.
- the more i see the details, i would recommend to stay with RO/DI. ( If you are not convinced, do you want to buy the Kati-Ani off me? we can get to a agree-able middle ground price. ;D )

thx