• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

re: refugium lighting

one of those issues that trouble the beginner:

- refugium lighting = should it be on 24/7 or not?
- what is the proper lighting for refugium?
- i have 24' PC lighting - how often should be light changed?
- can old lighting in refugium be a source of red slime outbreak?

thank you for all your help. everyday there is something new.

rniedzia said:
one of those issues that trouble the beginner:

- refugium lighting = should it be on 24/7 or not?

People do this to prevent caulerpa from going sexual and leeching nutrients back into system. If you have caulerpa as your macro, running 24/7 is recommended. If you don't, run opposite your display to help maintain pH.

rniedzia said:
- what is the proper lighting for refugium?

No good answer for this. Depends what you use fuge for. Growing macro, any light will do including incandescents. Some ppl run HQI just so their macro grows faster. I feel this is unnecessary but this is a preference thing. If you are using for grow out, frag prop...get whatever you can afford that suit your needs.

rniedzia said:
- i have 24' PC lighting - how often should be light changed?

If this for your fuge, in theory it doesn't really matter. The light may go out of wavelength spectrum but the macro growing should outcompete nuisance algae. In general, PC lights need to be changed every 6 months to 1 year if you are using as a display light.

rniedzia said:
- can old lighting in refugium be a source of red slime outbreak?

Very unlikely. Cyano is linked to excess nutrients. The out of spectrum light may help it grow but the root cause is not the lights.