• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

re thinking of starting up a 30g

Does anyone on this forum have the 30g finnex all in one tank? Was thinking of starting up a 30gallon and was leaning on getting an oceanic cube and having that drilled.

I like the idea of an all in one but you are limited and can't customize. The finnex all in one with 250w MH and T5's and built in refugium and skimmer sells for $600 which seems like a decent price.

Just wondering if i could put together a comparable system with better components for the price.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The nano forum guys could probably give you a heap of advice on this one. I've moved it into that forum for you.

I'd also like to know. Might be an in between tank for me before I make the move to a 90g. $600 was steep for my 1st tank so I went with a NC12.
I love the finnex all in one with MH, fuge, etc etc.

Who has one? Would love to hear personal accounts!

Subliminal

NJRC Member
Just as a point of reference:

29g AGA tank: ~$60
CPR Aquafuge with pump and yadda yadda: ~$50 (used...come up all the time here and on manhattanreefs)
2 powerheads of your choice: ~$50
175-250 W Metal Halide setup: ($75 ballast, $25 socket/reflector, $60 bulb): $160

Grand total for equipment: ~$320, or 1/2 as much as you guys are talking about.

That leave a LOT of room for customization.

I'm not a big fan of those little all in ones...but that's just me. Like I said: Point of reference.

:)

subliminal: Thanks
Twan: I think you could find a better price on premium aquatics...have to find the link

I was thinking of a 30 oceanic cube $99
Mini lumenarc MH $270-but need to build a canopy
Skimmer undecided but something that could handle up to 100gallons-Euroreef maybe $150 used?
Stand-I have one
sump -have a 20gallon long-need to setup a 20gallon high
Making the tank reef ready maybe another $80?
Autotopoff.com $60
Return pump $100
Powerheads----seio's?
But this exceeds $600. However you get better components.

" was thinking of a 30 oceanic cube $99
Mini lumenarc MH $270-but need to build a canopy
Skimmer undecided but something that could handle up to 100gallons-Euroreef maybe $150 used?
Stand-I have one
sump -have a 20gallon long-need to setup a 20gallon high
Making the tank reef ready maybe another $80?
Autotopoff.com $60
Return pump $100
Powerheads----seio's?
But this exceeds $600. However you get better components."

i REALLY like this list some of the things are a little on the expensive side but hey you are leaving yourself room for error. i would do this equip list with a 40 breeder even, tank itself is heaper, more water, plus its shallow so you wont need as many watts of halide. but thats just me. this list is really good, could even use it for that next bigger tank you get

Nick

Thanks for the reply. I'm setting up a 24gallon Aquapod instead but I really like the Oceanic 30 cube.

I got an AP 24 + stand, canopy and 250w Coralvue MH for $300.

Not sure what to do with a skimmer.

I really like the idea of an overflow but with this tank having a "surface skimmer" not exactly necessary.