• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

recommend tubing line that for CO2

hi everyone,
can someone please point out where can I buy tubing for CO2? I need to run my calcium reactor tubing again. the current tubes in my cal. reactor is short for my cal. reactor placement. I bought those r/o water blue tubing. is this tube good enough? I DO NOT want to have CO2 leak over time nor even right now. any trick to seal all connectors to prevent CO2 leakage?

Olivier

deadcpu said:
hi everyone,
can someone please point out where can I buy tubing for CO2? I need to run my calcium reactor tubing again. the current tubes in my cal. reactor is short for my cal. reactor placement. I bought those r/o water blue tubing. is this tube good enough? I DO NOT want to have CO2 leak over time nor even right now. any trick to seal all connectors to prevent CO2 leakage?

Olivier

No, RO tubing isn't recommended. Here's what it says on the F&Q sheet from Deltec.

Regular nylon & particularly silicone airline tubing can allow as much as 30% of CO2 to leak through the membrane. This greatly impairs the efficiency of CO2 or Calcium Reactors. Moreover, silicone tubing reacts with CO2 to render the gas less efficient. m3's 'Class I'CO2 Proof airline tubing (4/6mm- ID/OD) allows less than 1% of CO2 to escape. etc.

deadcpu said:
anyone?

I plan to have my Cal reactor in my garage that is 45 feet away from my DT.
olivier

#1 Put the CO2 tank next to the Ca reactor, not 45 feet away, if at all possible.
#2 I found it easiest to contact the people who made my Ca reactor, even aquatic ecosystems didn't have that tubing.They only charged me a token amount plus shipping. Plus they gave me a stupid amount with the Ca reactor, like 10".
HTH

the cal reactor and CO2 tank is in the garage. only the input water line from tank and output from calcium reactor is 45feet from the display tank. These two lines currently are very short. I would like to replace it for extended range. is this two tubing lines need to be CO2 compatible or just regular RO tubing line? the current tubes are blue color and white color.
Olivier

Sure, you can use RO tubing for the water lines, however how are you going to draw and feed water 45'? What kind of a pump is going to draw and push the water through? I have my calcium reactor right next to my sump and I worry about the hoses getting clogged. If you read Melev's website he has his calcium ractor on a stand inside his sump to avoid a flood.

Here's my sump with calcium reactor
IMG_4178.jpg

Melev's design
http://www.melevsreef.com/280g/280g_sump.html