• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Red Sea Reef Base Substrate? Yes or No?

I'm setting up a tank for a yellow headed jawfish, looking at sand options and happened on this: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...fm?pcatid=19639 do you think this is a good idea, or a bad one... would the larger sized pieces lead to issues such as with crushed coral? I was thinking of mixing this with some standard fine reef sand....

Thanks for any insight or experiences!

Hi Candi,
I have been using it for about two years, I like it ;)! it is smaller size grains,about the size of 1/8" beads, it does not compact like sand, so snails, sand sifting gobys, horseshoe crabs, can easily move through it. My jaw fish digs burrows under my live rock then looks for small pieces of rock rubble to build with. In your nano for Jaw fish you will probably want to add coral or rock rubble to it,the grain size is to small for them to build with. If your driving south down to exit 77 GSP you are more than wellcome to stop by and see it. You can try and talk me out of a piece of my barnacle ;D, although I really liked the "home" you posted and might build my own. I also use the Reef Base in my refugium and sump. My daughter just set up her 6 gal nano at school withsome also. 8) Dave

Thanks for the info! I'm still on the fence with it, I saw a photo of it in someone's small tank and didn't love the look of it, though mixing it with some other sand might give me a look I like and still provide benefits. If I'm down that way at all I'll surely drop you a note :)