• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

reef mud questions

hey everyone. Wondering if anyone has used reef mud and their experiences with it. Just set up small fuge and added Fiji mud in it. Anything I should be careful with or things I should watch out for?

I tried it at one time in a small refugium. I felt it was more of a dirt trap and nitrate factory. However, there are people that swear they got fantastic results from mud bottom refugiums.

This is one of these try it and see what it does for you cases. Should it not work out, it's easy enough to remove.

should I put snails or other life down there? I want it to work at top perfomance. Thanks for the post

Well I have had great results so far with it.
Here is my fuge before water.
sumpempty.jpg

As you can see I have about 15-20lbs of mud I got it from Orca Systems with the refugium.
http://www.protein-skimmer.com
On top of the mud I added some live sand from my old system and then rubble on top of that. I have cheato growing and it is now completely grown in the second chamber. I have not cleaned the glass in over two weeks in my display system and zero hair or other bad algae. I got some additional rock and cheato from MikeM so my fuge now is doing great has lots of life. Now how much benefit the mud has givin the system I don't know, but what I have is working and shows no negative effects that is for sure.

If I could get my drain lines to work as well as the mechanical/biological filtration I would be happy camper.

I have some algae chaeto which seems to be growing at a fantastic rate. Should I add some snails to move mud around? I am also looking to possibly add some mangroves in the near future. I am fairly new to this new setup. just started running fuge in my new sump. tank seems to look much better than what I had previously, all I had before was wet dry with live rock so I am confident the sump with thee upgraded skimmer and fuge will do nothing but benefit my tank. thanks again

Hey we are in the same boat then almost exactly. :) I didn't put any snails in but I threw one hitchiker crab and some good live rock for pods and whatnot. Also have some small brittle stars. I thought about adding some mangroves too let me know if you do.
James