• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Reef Safe List?

New here and typed in "Reef Safe List" in the search bar but was wondering is there a list here or some where that had a complete list or list of types of fish that are reef safe along with other coral and invertebrates, and for the minimum size tank for that kind of fish? If there is a link to the topic or website would awesome and well appreciated and a good idea to make it a sticky. Also for my story on how i got my fish tank check out http://www.njreefers.org/joomla/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=11539.msg107392;topicseen#msg107392

Thanks! have you had any experience with ordering fish or coral online? I love to support LFS but you can not beat the selection and sometimes savings. Just i know how delicate coral is and to ship it sounds like im asking to kill it. But it is summer still so that should keep them warm. ahhh just scared of any DOA

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
They are suggesting using it as a research media, not necessarily purchasing from them.

You can infer if a fish isn't on this list - it's "ok": Bad Fish List

...ideally you pick up a book on fish to be sure.

Minimum size is all relative. A baby hippo tang could be kept in a 29 gallon or aquapod initially. A full grown Hippo would probably prefer a 215 and up. Somewhere economics and whats "ok" collide somewhere in between.

I suggest the book by robert fenner called the
Conscientious Marine Aquarist...excellent list of fish and their suitability.

The pocket book mentioned by Tom is also good but since I had the above book - I didn't get that.