• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Refugium

Hey I have a 150 reef tank with around 300 lbs of live rock, a wet dry system and a fuval. I'm thinking of adding a refugium to the tank. Is it really worth the cost??? I'm doing also a weekly water change of around 15-20 gallons. Does any one else do a weekly water change??

My opinion is yes it is worth it. the chato pulls a lot of nitrates out of the main tank plus the culture of copapods that feed your tank if you do it right.

I love mine it may not be a display like reeferwanabe but I have effectively starved all bad algae out of my display along with providing a good pod breeding ground(with some help from Mike)

You mention a wet dry system and a canister (the Fuval) and 300 lbs or LR.

Before you go out and spend money on a refugium, I recommend you get the existing filtration system upgraded.

You don't mention a skimmer. If you don't have one I recommend you spend the money there first. It will do a lot more for your system than a refugium will.

Wet dry systems tend to become nitrate factories. This is because they are so good at reducing ammonia --> nitrite --> nitrate that nothing else gets a chance to do anything. Assuming you are using something like a trickle filter, you may actually improve things by removing the bio balls or other media.

Canister filters also tend to become nitrate factories unless you clean them often. This might also be something you want to phase out, or just use for chemical media. In any case, do clean it weekly.

300 lbs of live rock is about 1 1/2 to 2 times what is normally recommended. I tend to think that the system is so full of rock that many dead spots in the rock are created. You may want to remove some.

Once you have all that worked out then consider a refugium. As pointed out, they can do a lot.

Hey thanks for the imfo. I do have a large protein skimmer on the tank. And last week I started taking out the bio balls .

there's a lot of information on google to learn about what it helps. besides that as previously mentioned if you want to get rid of some LR let me know! ha! i can use some!