• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Repair or not? DIY help also

The back glass on my nuvo 16 cracked I really like the tank and I don't have the room to upgrade atm is it worth trying to repair (get a new piece of glass cut) or not... Also if anyone has experience with this your help is very much needed, I would even be willing to pay someone to replace the glass... Plz help

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I’d DIY the fix, no question.

Carefully measure the dimensions of the broken glass. Take that to your glass shop. Cut out the broken piece with a sharp razor. Make sure you get off all the old silicone. Pick up the appropriate RTV silicone and glue it back up. Use tape to hold the new glass in place.

horseplay

NJRC Member
You can search for mirror, glass etc in the yellow pages or online for your area. That's how I found mine. My glass was cut very well and you can choose what kind of polished edge you want. For glue, one tube of aquarium silicon should be enough and you can get it from most of LFS.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
......... For glue, one tube of aquarium silicon(e) .........

I would actually recommend RTV 103 or RTV 108 silicone for "gluing" glass together. The only difference between 103 and 108 is that one is black and the other is clear. RTV silicones have much better gluing properties than caulk type silicone, and will therefore do a better job holding the two glass panels together.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Just make sure when you silicone the new piece In you tape the seams off otherwise you will have a big mess. If you don't know how just tape about a half inch from each corner silicone and wipe down to the tape and remove. You will have a nice clean edge. Good luck