• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

return pump for my 58 gallon

As I have previously posted I recently bought a used 58 gallon oceanic ultimate reef ready tank. The set up came with a quite one 3000 as my return pump. I have been doing some research regarding this pump and do not see too many positive reviews about it.

So I was curious if my mag 9.5 return pump would work by itself. I have been told that this is too much pump for the tank because only one line drains the water down to the sump and that I would need to throttle the pump back. From what I understand my tank only drains 800 gph and the mag 9.5 returns 950 gallons per hour.

Is this correct and has anyone ever used a larger pump on a tank similar to mine?

what is the size of the return pipe? 1" is about 600 gph. You can plumb some of that extra water back into a sump which you can use as a feed pump for a filter, a skimmer feed, or even a reactor of some sorts.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Have a 48g bow-front with a 45g sump/fuge using a mag 9.5 as a return. As concept3 suggested, we have a tee coming off the return line that runs over to the refugium with a valve to control flow. Works just fine.

curt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
i just set up the same 58 tank with the same pump i also put a tee on return
I'm thinking I'll plumb the skimmer into it and dump that into the refugium
i also put a tee in the overflow and plumb a small amount into the refugium
my return is in the middle of a 29 gal sump with baffles
i think my overflow is rate about 600 gal hr.

curt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
also i think after head loss you'll return about 700 gal.