• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Rimless Aquarium

I'm new to the hobby and have seen pics of rimless aquariums. Was wondering where can I order it in NJ or online, I'm looking for a 40B. So far, the most reasonably priced website I found is Glasscages.com but I've read horror stories about their product. Could you please advise of any other source I can go to? Thanks.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Are you talking about ZeroEdge, or something without the plastic trim and maybe eurobracing?

Try your LFS…I know OGII has a ZeroEdge set up right inside their door. Also ask your LFS…they will be more then willing to order something for you.

In addition, in the central Jersey area, Feng, at Red Sand in Avenel, use to build tanks. Don’t know if he still does, but it might be worth checking out.

Butchik, I am actually looking for the same thing.. If you want a custom made rimless from miracle aquariums the cost is 528 bucks. This includes it being shipped to your door. :eek: They quoted me for 12.7 mm thick glass all around (which I think is overkill for a 16" tall tank)

Another option is a rimless tank with the same footprint but 2 inches taller which is a 48 gallon.. Green Leaf Aquarium online store sells them for 350 bucks +ship. I have family that drive down to Fla a few times a year so I may have them throw it in the car (the warehouse is in Gainsville) and save on shipping.
Marinedepot.com also sells Mr. Aqua rimless tanks which is exactly the same size and thickness (10mm) as the GLA. But I have heard that the build quality is better on the GLA tanks than the Mr. Aqua.

If I happen to drive down there myself and you commit to buying one I can probably get you one too. But not def. going down there yet. But if i go i will get in touch with you.

NanoreefChris,

Got your message, and here are the quotes I've gotten so far from 2 other vendors you did not mention and another aquarium that another mentioned to me:
1. Tenecor Aquarium - $313 + $87 shipping. I don't know the quality but you can check their website out at tenecor.com. I found them surfing around the web. Forgot to tell you that this would be acrylic.
2. Coast to Coast Aquariums - they are local here in NJ (Toms River). They quoted me $841 for all glass. I'm ruling them out 'coz of the price.
3. Oceanic sells a 57 gallon rimless for $300 basic, if you want the overflow it's $400. Someone told me that your LFS can order it for you. It has the same footprint as the 40B but higher.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I have the Oceanic 57 rimless at home right now. Ordered it through Aquaqtic Obsessions. Really impressed with the tank, but it is sitting empty right now.

Butchik said:
NanoreefChris,

Got your message, and here are the quotes I've gotten so far from 2 other vendors you did not mention and another aquarium that another mentioned to me:
1. Tenecor Aquarium - $313 + $87 shipping. I don't know the quality but you can check their website out at tenecor.com. I found them surfing around the web. Forgot to tell you that this would be acrylic.
2. Coast to Coast Aquariums - they are local here in NJ (Toms River). They quoted me $841 for all glass. I'm ruling them out 'coz of the price.
3. Oceanic sells a 57 gallon rimless for $300 basic, if you want the overflow it's $400. Someone told me that your LFS can order it for you. It has the same footprint as the 40B but higher.

Ive ruled out acrylic, just too scaredof scratches. 841 for a 40 breeder? What is it made out of? silver and gold? lol.
The oceanic is nice but I dont want a tank that tall. Seems like the best option would be to do it yourself or go with a GLA tank.

Where are these horror stories on glass cages? I have never really seen bad stuff about them. Underwater world in roselle park has 3 huge tanks built by them if you want to go look. Two 48 x 72? x 15 or so frag tanks and a 48 x 48 x 18 rimless display tank. They look engineered right bottom and top euro bracing, plus extar conerbracing. On homemade stands that are most likly not built by someone who is very familiar with how to build stands properly, just a carpenter type dude, if get the idea. tanks this big on so so stands on unlevel old floors will not hold up if they are not built right. I think glass cages is your best bet if it has to be a custom size, they do polish the edges of their rimless tanks and can make it with black silcone, they look really nice. Another person I know farms frags, has their rimless smaller tanks they look fantastic I thought they were some really high end brand of tanks when I went to high house and saw them. Here are his tanks so you can judge...

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=19843&catid=member&imageuser=3004

I dont know of glasscages rep good or bad. But i wouldn't judge buy a tank thats in a store. Everyone does nice work when its getting that much exposure. Also a frag tank isn't deep at all so there;s not much pressure, i wouldn't go by that either. just my opinion ;)

What are the horror stories though? I heard of glasscage plenty but dont think any bad stuf

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
CAD lights just put out a rimless 50g cube, comes to $550 with tank and stand. Starfire glass and looks really cool.

Theres a store in Bklyn , Island Aquariums ,Utica Avenue ,that builds tanks on site, I've been there a few times and the tanks look nice . Its only about 45 minutes from NJ so you can chack out build quality before commiting.

Henrye718 said:
Where are these horror stories on glass cages? I have never really seen bad stuff about them. Underwater world in roselle park has 3 huge tanks built by them if you want to go look. Two 48 x 72? x 15 or so frag tanks and a 48 x 48 x 18 rimless display tank. They look engineered right bottom and top euro bracing, plus extar conerbracing. On homemade stands that are most likly not built by someone who is very familiar with how to build stands properly, just a carpenter type dude, if get the idea. tanks this big on so so stands on unlevel old floors will not hold up if they are not built right. I think glass cages is your best bet if it has to be a custom size, they do polish the edges of their rimless tanks and can make it with black silcone, they look really nice. Another person I know farms frags, has their rimless smaller tanks they look fantastic I thought they were some really high end brand of tanks when I went to high house and saw them. Here are his tanks so you can judge...

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=19843&catid=member&imageuser=3004

very easy to find bad reviews on them. Google 'glasscages forum' and read the various feedback from some of the fish websites. Apparently they are a nightmare to deal with and their silicone work is messy. of course there are a few people here and there that like their product.

I understand but the thing is people only report the bad stuff not the good its the way of the internet. Look in the emergency section I have a brand new 120 AGA leaking, after 3 months. :/ 10 calls to AGA so far and I can not get the warranty guy. One of the biggest companies building tanks and I have no warranty aparently. :/

Like I said if anyone wants to see a glass cages tank go to under water worlds store they are a sponsor here. They also have the acrylics from the guy on ebay. You can see those too. I was recently there and helped them move a big tank they had setup. The stand their contracter made for them had sections of wood that were not even. The tank actually rocked on the stand when they emptied it, crazy. So for me that says those tanks are made very well, huge tanks sitting on those shoudy stands and nothing happens, they are over engineered thats why they are holding up.

Some of these tanks I see us wanting custom made might be a sorta calculated risk thing where your tank is a prototype because of the dimensions. You do take a big risk in that there is no warranty due to the low price and odd sizes, they can not obsorb shipping costs back and forth and customers who do not place these tanks properly and cause the failures. I myslef am having a 48 x 30 x 20 built rimless and braceless, in half inch thick glass. It really should be made 3/4" but that would be so thick its going to look ugly, so ill take the risk.

A rimless\braceless tank is really scary after talking to feng a few times at Red Sand another sposore here. He built all his own tanks at his store and swears silicone is great at sealing but has very little holding strength without some type of euro bracing. Very nice guy by the way with some cool thoughts on reef keeping.

From what i hear you need to purchase the stand also to get the warranty. Then if you have a warranty problem a rep will come look at it and make sure you leveled it properly and try to find any other reason not to warranty it. Which is bull because your paying way too much for those cheaply made stands. I built my own for about a tenth of the price and it's more sturdy and level than theirs will ever be. I actually had to build mine anyway cause my tank is in wall. So what, anyone with an in wall tank is forced out of their warranty? Not too fair.

Hey look at ocean gallery, the store that sells marineland tanks, Their deep dimension 300 has been leaking since day 1! Granted it's all the way on the top trim, but it's still a leak

Nickjr000 said:
Hey look at ocean gallery, the store that sells marineland tanks, Their deep dimension 300 has been leaking since day 1! Granted it's all the way on the top trim, but it's still a leak

yikes that tank alone is $2,000

R

reseter5

i have built plenty of custom tanks when i was a glazier ( glass worker) .. the big cost problem with the rimless is because u have to go overkill on the glass or acrylic.. there is no cross braces as reinforcements.. so the glass would naturally want to bow from the water pressure... thats why they are more.. and a lot heavier... just for regular glass 3/8" thick is almost 3 times the price of 1/4"

nice for a frag tank...