• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

running 180 gallon tank without skimmer

hi everyone,
Can I run my 180 gallon tank without skimmer, sump, overflow, nor return pump except circulation pump and heater for 2 days worst case 3 days?  I am loosing the battle with redslime algea.  I want to take my sump/fugium out and clean it also clean some rock in the tank that I can remove to clean then dose the tank with redslime med then follow up with 50% water change. weekly
Olivier

whenever i have to yake my sump off line i use a rubbermade storage bin and just flex plumb it inline . That way you can still use skimmer and have flow,its a little more work but worth not having to worry about losses.

You will lose all the airation and I would think things would start dying in less than 24 hours but that really just a guess.

Oliver get zeo bak and zeo coral snow. I forget how much you mix, i think like 8 drops of bak and 10ml of coral snow let it sit for 5 mins and then dose in display. Helped me jump start getting rid of it when i had it. Now its totally gone, due to a combo of this, big weekly water changes and Blowing it off with a baster whenever i would see it. Just takes time but it will go away

Nickjr000 said:
Oliver get zeo bak and zeo coral snow. I forget how much you mix, i think like 8 drops of bak and 10ml of coral snow let it sit for 5 mins and then dose in display. Helped me jump start getting rid of it when i had it. Now its totally gone, due to a combo of this, big weekly water changes and Blowing it off with a baster whenever i would see it. Just takes time but it will go away

how long have you run Zeo Bak and Zeo Coral Snow?  I dose the tank with those two for 20 days and nothing change.  how big is your water change? if you blow the red slime with baster, would those red stuff flying around and spread out? are you dosing bak & snow daily? or every other day? I dose every other day. do you keep your skimmer off during dosing time?

Are you mixing the bak and snow together and letting it sit for 5 mins? Then dump it right in display. Your suppose to dose every other day according to the zeo site, on the zeo forum one of the guys recommended for me to dose half the dose everyday. it worked, but you have to mix them together. The idea of blowing it off the rocks and stuff is to get it to your skimmer so it can pull it out of your tank. You could try siphoning the looser stuff out maybe? When i was having algae problems i changed about 25-30% of the water every week for about 5 weeks. If you do the normal 10% water change it would take forever to get the phos or nit down thats causing your slime. 10 % is a good number if your parameters are all in check for a maintenance water change. If they are outta whack you need to change 25-30%, might seem like a lot but i experimented with this a lot and it works great. With a bigger water change its more important to make sure your temp and salinity of the new water is closer to your display so it doesnt make it change much

Nick,
I dosed the tank every other day. However, my tank parameter is out of whack and I just within a week to readjust the tank parameters (calcium, alk, ph, magnesium, salinity). next monday, I will try to dose the zeo bak and snow again. and do water change 25% weekly. hope this second round will get rid of red slime before I nuke the tank.