• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Safe paint for repainting stand and hood

What paint is safe to use on reef tank inside stand and hood? I heard some release toxins that are harmful to coral and others. I'm painting black. What brand and type?

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Killz is the one I used on my tank... Just stay away from anything w\ mold inhibtor

What paint is safe to use on reef tank inside stand and hood? I heard some release toxins that are harmful to coral and others. I'm painting black. What brand and type?

Yea I remember you getting that. I believe it was the original i will use it as a primer and for the sump area. Now my question to everybody. I am going to paint black the medal or whatever you call that top that hides the light, what type of paint would you suggest. Indoor (water based). Outdoor (oil based supposed to be for water resistant) marine epoxy like on boats. Any specific brand would also be great.

Any oil based semi gloss or high gloss paint will do. Just paint it outside once its dry it won't do anything to your tank. Remember to lightly sand between coats and get a good paint brush rated for oil paint. Otherwise you'll be picking bristles out of the paint forever.

If it is metal I would use an appliance enamel out of a spray can. Nice hi gloss finish and it is tough as nails. It would probably work on plastic too but you would have to test it first to make sure it does not react to the plastic. Of it reacts to the plastic it might not dry. Ever.