• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Scammers every where

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
So many scammers on Facebook Marketplace. Put up the tank, stand, skimmer and lights every IM was someone trying to scam me. Not one legit person; ready to pull the sale and keep what I can and trash everything else.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I hear ya. I hate doing business on any of these sites anymore. Low bids, scamming, and no shows abound.
To help out I've decided I'll buy the tank off of you, but first I need to verify that you aren't going to scam me. I need you to send me your social security, bank account, address, and phone number. Then, if you complete a small deposit to my account of $250, I will immediately return it along with the cost of the tank and $500 additional for your troubles.

Damn, Subs beat me to it. That's OK though, I can still do an ID check for you.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
do you take Zelle? I can have my brother come pick it up.
Very Close. They said Venmo and daughter will pickup. I asked if her car was big enough and I would take $$$ if paid cash. No reply for a few days now.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Another haggled for everything and we agreed on price then asked me to deliver, not far from me. Well his profile is blank, phone number is another town north under a business name. I asked for address and he never replied......LOL

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
So many scammers on Facebook Marketplace. Put up the tank, stand, skimmer and lights every IM was someone trying to scam me. Not one legit person; ready to pull the sale and keep what I can and trash everything else.
Yup!! I put a couch up and same thing !!

bigyankfan

Treasurer
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I think there are several Nigerian princes and oil ministers who are *very* interested in buying your tank.

Another haggled for everything and we agreed on price then asked me to deliver, not far from me. Well his profile is blank, phone number is another town north under a business name. I asked for address and he never replied......LOL
I hate when they haggle you down in email..then try to haggle you down after you drive to meet them. I had someone do that to me one time...i just pushed up the tail gate of my truck got in and drove away without saying a word. You could tell the guy was pissed and that he really wanted what I was selling. Got a few emails from him almost immediately asking me to reconsider and he upped his offer to above original asking price. *shrugs*

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I think there are several Nigerian princes and oil ministers who are *very* interested in buying your tank.
Technically it's your tank. So if anyone here wants it can have free just like you did for me. I paid over $100 for the stand and great deal from Joe on skimmer. trying to recoup a little back that's all.

One guy offered me $100 for both Ocean Revive lights I countered and he said all I have is $100. Well his profile shows him with a very nice reef tank; no money my a$$.
I told him I won't go any lower and that was the end.

It's rough. Last week I left work because some girl said she wanted to buy like $300 worth of coral. (I work across the street from where I live)

I'm standing in front of my building as she says I'm here. I text her back and no answer. I went inside, ate some chips and went back to work.

Salted

NJRC Member
Same here. eBay takes way to big a bite now and shipping can be a hassle. I have several items for sale on fb market. Nothing but lowball offers. I just respond back with an even higher asking price. CL is even worse it seems.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
The scammers slowed down for now and updated listing as stated above pickup/cash only. will se how that goes for a few days.