• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Scolymia Grown Wild!

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We've had a scoly for about a year now. For a while it was in my display and it looked good for some time and slowly got smaller. Not deathly small, just not expanding as much and starting to show a little skeletin at night. We moved it to our basement system thinking that maybe it was someone in the main picking on it. It got a bit bigger down there and was much happier, reinforcing our belief that something must have been picking on it, since it is all the same water.

Not wanting to keep it in the basement I finally decided that I was going to give it one more try in the display and if it isn't happy there, I was going to send it home with someone who could enjoy it.

When I brought it upstairs I didn't have any place in the front of the tank for it, so I put in in the valley between the two rock structures in my tank. OH MY! It is SO huge in there I'm just about amazed (6-8" across). I can't believe how much the lack of flow that it gets in there really makes it happy. I'm glad I found a home in the display for it (even if it is a strange home that isn't really visible from the front of the tank, nor easy to take photos of because of the angles you'd need to hold the camera at to catch it (so don't bother asking for pictures of it, lol)!

Just thought I'd share my happy scoly story, in case it would help someone else's LPS be happier.

Glad it worked out for you and it's able to remain in your display tank. It says a lot about correct placement of corals.

I'm trying to nurse one back to health that managed to survive the 90 gallon crash last month. It's opening up more now (back to about 2" across) but it's still a translucent pink with a white center. It was orange with a green center and about 4" across.

Will have to try an alternative placement. Don't have much in the way of dead spots in the 90 gallon bow, though. Maybe I'll try it in the 30 and hope the GSMs won't pick on it. Much lower flow and more sand surface area in that tank. Thanks Phyl! Bet ya didn't know you were answering a question un-asked! ;)

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Feeding should also help the bleaching in addition to the lower lighting. Glad that it answered your question too! My GSMs don't touch it. Hopefully yours won't either. Mine only really care about something if I put it in their "zone" though. Then they'll pick it up and throw it across the tank! Good luck! I hope it recovers!

Thanks Phyl. I'm going to try making the move today. The GSMs are still only about an inch. The "female" just stopped picking on the "male" and decided to tolerate him, heck, she's even letting him eat now! LOL! But, as that turn occurred, she decided she wanted to cost my clove polyps and completely freaked them out, had to move them to the 90gal bow, and they DO NOT like it.

Great news Phyl.

Wish you had done this last year and you could have helped me out when some of our former experts were bashing me for recommending the same approach!